Bosses / targets

Stace

Can anyone recommend a good, small boss or foam target for me to practice shooting at whilst at home.

My yard isn't that big so the furthest I'd be away from the target would be 10 yards. This target would also have to be strong enough for me shooting a 50lb draw compound without going straight through the thing from that distance.

I don't need to worry about a safety net as I have a rock face wall at the end of the garden, although this may be the final resting place of any stray arrows :jaw-dropp

Does anyone else shoot at home with only a small area to work in? What do you use?

Tony_zelah

Stace before you buy anything wait and see what the bosses are like at the club its more that possible that some of the older one will get relegated and you could double up two of them which will serve very well

KevinH

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I practice at home at about 6 yards with a #44 recurve and upto #55 compound. I have tried ;

cheap square straw boss - forget it arrows went straight through on first end.

85cm round straw boss - very tough to start with ( had to put boss on the ground and stand on it to extract arrows ) but didn't last long, within a few months I was getting arrows passing through, and the target fell apart within 9 months.

90x90 compressed layered foam - this works well, good stopping power and arrows are easy to pull, you do have to keep an eye on soft spots developing but at least the boss can be repacked and repaired when necessary. Only real downside is it's the bulkiest to store and lug about

Last edited:

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
60cm square foam for me too, as Kevin says, at least any eventual soft spots can be replaced/repaired.

Mick

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I'm with Mick - we have a compressed foam target in our top room.

Aardvark have them and do a great postal service as you already know :beer:

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Little Miss Purple said:
I'm with Mick - we have a compressed foam target in our top room.

Aardvark have them and do a great postal service as you already know :beer:
I got mine from Aardvark too.

Mick

doubletop

bosses/targets

we use a layered foam target from Merlin Archery probably same as Aardvark
at a distance of 9m had it two years and had it repaired once i shoot at 50# my lad at35# and to save on damage to wall i use a pice of plywood behind it

Alex Greig

I've got a nearly new 60cm straw boss you can have for ?10. I used it a couple of times, then had an incident that has stopped me practacing at home. :muted:

For the same price I could let you have a used 122cm straw boss from the club.

Last edited:

Tony_zelah

Have a word with Kevin next time you see him. He may well be at the field tomorrow night, as he shoots in his garage at times so he can tell you what type of boss he uses

Macbow

60 cm layered foam butt from bowsports that permanently lives outside. The foam is unaffected by snow or rain so great for just leaving in the garden.

T

timujin

Many Yank shooters use a large burlap bag (real or artificial fibre) and fill it with scrunched up plastic shooping bags and plastic wrapping. They tend to pack it in well, shoot into it, pack it down a bit more, add some more bags and then it's right. According to some of their accounts shooters have been uysing these for compounds for several years and the only thing they have had to rep[ace is the bag itself which gets cut about too much after a while.

These targets are waterproof and apparently last forever. Er, don't use bio-degradable plastic else you might get a nasty surprise real fast.

Normsky

Little Miss Purple said:
Ouch!! sounds like a painful experience......but maybe it's the Scottish accent that does that! :devil:
Funniest thing I have read on here! :cloud9:

Shirt

Foam is great. Mine is now 5 years old? Something like that. Rebanded umpteen times, still on the original foam, still stops an ACE from four feet... :D