[OTHER] Bow getting noisier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil M

Hi all,

Until now, my bow (35# Penthalon Navajo with beaver silencers) has been whisper quiet - just the classic "thwump" of the release and the sound of an arrow hitting foam/tree.

I took it out this weekend however, and couldn't help but notice the buzzing noise of string on limb. I was using lighter arrows, so I tried my normal heavier set. I checked my brace height, even took it up an extra 1/4" or so over the usual 8", but still to no avail. I also think the arrows were coming out of the bow a bit wobbly, but that could always just be the archer's fault.

Any thoughts on what could cause this? I have had the bow about 6 months.

-Neil

Mark31121

Ironman
I would normally suggest looking at the tiller, but as that's a one piece bow it's not really an option. My guess would be a stretched string moving the nocking point and causing your limbs to be a bit out of sync on release.

Bald Eagle

What Mark said, also, check your centre serving hasn't started to separate, this will also move the nock point up

Neil M

It certainly has! Clever chaps. It's been doing that for a while, didn't realise it would have a functional consequence.

Mufti

So . . . Had the string stretched or was the serving moving?

I ask because I doubt the nocking point would move much even if the string had stretched (the nocking point is pretty central anyway)
I would expect string stretch not having been noticed and bracing height getting smaller and smaller.

Neil M

The serving. I had assumed it was unraveling downward away from the centre/nocking point, rather than the nock itself shifting upwards.

Neil M

String replaced, an 8125 from archeryworld.co.uk

Still noisy, even with beaver silencers. Going to try loosening them off a little, that might help?

It's not that it's really loud, just that it used to be silent...

Neil M

So I both loosened the silencers and offset the location, and there's no longer any rattle. Still odd that it changed though!

Status
Not open for further replies.