Bow length - Longer or shorter?

kinkychinky

Is it better to go with a longer bow length than a shorter bow length?

In one calculation using arrow length (28") it recommends either a bow length of 66" (if arrow length is 26"-28") or 68" (if arrow length is 28"-30").

Many thanks.

kinkychinky

Is speed related to draw weight?

Since I'm a beginner, my draw weight is relatively low (32lbs is what I'm currently comfortable with. Tried 34lbs, but that was just too heavy.)

Thanks

joetapley

The shorter bow will give you more arrow speed for the same draw weight. With only a 32# draw that could be an advantage. A shorter bow will reduce the angle string makes at the nock (too small and you will tend to pinch the nock with the fingers). With a 28" arrow this should not be an issue.

kinkychinky

I would have equated draw weight with arrow speed.

Is there an easy explanation how two different length bows with the same draw weight let off arrows at different speeds.

Not questioning your expertise rather wanting to learn more about the mechanics of archery.

Thanks.

joetapley

Is there an easy explanation how two different length bows with the same draw weight let off arrows at different speeds.
- shorter limbs have less mass to accelerate (same reason as having 'foam' limb cores)
- with shorter limbs the limbs are bent more so there is more utilisation of the limb energy storage capacity.
- Shorter bow will generally have a lower bracing height - more useable energy stored at full draw with same draw weight.
- Shorter bow will have a more acute string angle with the arrow so force is more forward then up and down - short axle length compound bows take this to a much greater extreme then possible with a recurve because of release aid/loop.

kinkychinky

Will a bow with a shorter (23") riser and long limbs shoot slower than a bow with long riser (25") and medium limbs? Both bows being equal lengths.

Thanks for your patience and wisdom.

joetapley

Will a bow with a shorter (23") riser and long limbs shoot slower than a bow with long riser (25") and medium limbs? Both bows being equal lengths.
Should do. The problem with this sort of question is that for a sensible answer you always need to ask "By How Much" - and get a sensible estimate - very rare anyone can supply this. - and before you ask, no idea :)

kinkychinky

Rather than trying to quantify how much. I would ask if it was noticable.

Also given the choice, what would you go for? Shorter riser or longer riser?

Thanks

joetapley

I suspect most limbs (with international fitting) are designed as regards performance for a 25" riser. (that could be complete nonsense).
I would imagine the difference would be noticeable in terms of sightmark.

Don't see any point in a 23" riser unless you need a very short bow i.e. a junior.

kinkychinky

Thanks Joe for all your replies.

Would it be better to buy a shorter bow than is suggested? For example I was measured up for a 66" bow. Would there be any benefits in going for a 64" bow, bearing in mind my low draw weight? Or should I stick with 66" and hope to increase my draw weight over time.

joetapley

Assuming a draw length of around 26-27" with a 28" arrow I would go for a 66" bow length - also avoides any stacking issues.
The balbardie archers guide is a "must have" for buying new gear and settig up for the first time.
see Reference Guide