Bow repair

Dennarcher

AIUK Saviour
Hi,

Got a bow with a small piece of grain lifting on the (Ash laminate) back of the bow. The area affected is only about 10mm long and 5mm wide and triangular. Thought I would reinforce the area with a strong black thread and glue matrix (seen this on other peoples longbows). Question is: What thread? Should I use a bowstring serving thread, or linen, cotton etc? Also, what glue? could use superglue (easy) or Araldite (sticky/messy). Or should I use something else entirely?

Looking forward to your collective wisdom,

Dennis.

D

Deleted member 7654

Linen thread, araldite precision, massage it into the whipping, wipe off surplus.
Don't use any thread which is waxed.
Del

hi Dennis i would use cascamite wood glue if you can if not either of your own surgestions, when glueing wipe off most of the excess place a peice of grease prof paper on and cramp it up for a day then sand it off and revarnish. Personally i wouldnt bind it as you wont be able to see whats going on? unless you think or can forsee a major grain failure happening, then perhaps leave it hanging on the wall.!! All the best BTC

Dennarcher

AIUK Saviour
Hi,

Plenty to go on there! Thanks very much - I'll let you know what I decide to use and how it goes.

Dennis.

Dennarcher

AIUK Saviour
And now the finale!

Bow repair carried out as advised and reinforced both limbs to match and to slightly stiffen a weakish, whip ended bow. Also piked the bow by taking off 1 1/2" from each end to increase draw weight. Put bow back on tiller to check the bend and to weigh it. Got it to within 1" of original draw length (28") - poundage up by 6lb! great! Took it to 28" - BANG. Doh! Removed splinters from face, Said "Goodness Gracious" (my wife said that it didn't sound like that at all). Oh well - cant win 'em all. Ineresting thing is it did not break at the site of the original problem, The linen thread and Araldite did its stuff perfectly. The break was in the opposite limb and inboard of the reinforcing.

Dennis.

D

Deleted member 7654

Taking 1 1/2" off each end is a bit suicidal unless you really know the bow inside out (e.g you made in the first place).
Shame you didn't ask advice first. Still, that's exactly the sort of harsh lesson we learn most from!
They do go with a nice bang don't they :)
Del

hi Dennis, sorry to hear the sad news, if its any consulation i had a small oak and lemonwood flat bow 1st time with a string on the tiller looked great at 18" wished id taken a photo! 40 hrs work and left with five peices. yes it dose make you jump & sware! but you get over it. btc

Dennarcher

AIUK Saviour
Hi Del,

Yes I the maker of the bow. I made it about 25 years ago as my first ever attempt (I was a recurve shooter at the time and wanted a winter project to keep me occupied). Used it on and off for years and has been used by many beginners. Was a bit whippy at the ends, but as I said - a first attempt. Decide to give it a new lease of life (ha ha) after discovering the lifted grain. Almost worked!

Brian,

Getting quite used to things going bang over the years - sometimes even with a proffesionally made bow from reputable bowyers. Seems like they all go bang in the end. Had one go in the middle Portsmouth at a Championship shoot. Bottom limb broke- top limb came back and smacked be over the head. Got an egg on the forehead. Another archer shooting compound said that he had a longbow in his car and that I could use it if I wanted to carry on. Did so, even though draw weight was different, and got a higher score for the second half of the round. Won the longbow trophy!

Dont know what that proves, if anything.

Regards,

Dennis.