Bow Trainer type devices

nbuuifx

I know that the best practise is to use my bow, and do either actual shooting or bow exercises.

However I'm not very good at doing it and the main reason is the time/effort required to set the bow up ready to practise.

I know this is a poor excuse but it is honest!

I'd like something that I could just grab so that I can do some kind of training. I have exercise bands but I'm never sure how much I get from them. They feel so alien compared to holding the bow.

I shoot recurve, I'm looking to build some strength. It would be useful if whatever I bought would be useful for my 10 year old daughter to use as well.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 7654

Make or buy a bow that doesn't need "setting up" or leave yours set up but unstrung.
Complicated isn't always better.
Del

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Using exercise bands is, in some ways, the opposite of making things feel like usual.
They are an opportunity, instead, to focus on the correct form/execution with a minimum of weight; it's like going back to basics. For practicing the movements they are probably better than something which more closely mimics shooting.
But they won't do much for strength/condition.

In the past, I've bought a cheap handle/limbs to use for conditioning/reversals. Something I'm willing to just leave set up. I've used an "airbow" but they are fiddly to set up and still need an actual bow (as does something like a Formaster).

nbuuifx

I've tried before with the bands attached to a dumbbell which is then at about the same weight as the riser, but I just don't really get the right weight with the bands. I tried last time and kept making it shorter to up the poundage but eventually snapped the band!

I guess as you've said, a spare riser and limbs setup is the answer but the wife would probably kill me. It would also mean the whole lot x2 to get my daughter practising too.

I like the look of the formaster for technique but I don't think I'd set the bow to often enough to make good use of it. I do like the idea of it making you use the right muscles though.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Shock cord, from a place that sounds like Tea and zoo; comes in different thicknesses. If you get a length of each thickness and experiment you should get close to your bow's draw weight. 1 x thick = too light
1 x thick beside 1 x thin = too light
1 x thick beside 2 x thin = ??
When you are close to matching, shorten the thin one a little at a time.

nbuuifx

Shock cord, from a place that sounds like Tea and zoo; comes in different thicknesses. If you get a length of each thickness and experiment you should get close to your bow's draw weight. 1 x thick = too light
1 x thick beside 1 x thin = too light
1 x thick beside 2 x thin = ??
When you are close to matching, shorten the thin one a little at a time.
Sounds a good plan - could attach round the ends of a dumbell to give weight - angle will be out but might still be useful.

You might need to give me more clues on a place that sounds like tea and zoo though - got me stumped there!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
It's a place with a big logo made up of two letters with & between them. First letter comes immediately after A and the second letter sounds like queue.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Er, why not say "B&Q"? It's not like they are an archery supplier, so it shouldn't fall foul of any advertising restrictions...

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Here's an odd one - we went away for six weeks, I've not shot much lately but did do a Short Metric before we went and a few other lesser shoots. I shot a loads of arrows a couple of days ago and the drawing seemed easier than usual; not in the slightest bit wearing. Still find my draw cycle a bit odd - sometimes very easy, sometimes quite stiff (I've decided not to worry about it - I just say to myself "oooh that was an easy one" or "hmmm, a stiff draw on that one") but it's doesn't worry me any more.
Not going to risk upping my poundage - and no need anyway - but lack of shooting doesn't seem to have mattered.

Weird.

On another note I wonder if I'll get a reply to this; apart from one question from Geoff, my last five posts have had not one single acknowledgement. Was it something I've said?!

nbuuifx

It's a place with a big logo made up of two letters with & between them. First letter comes immediately after A and the second letter sounds like queue.
I thought it was b and q but searched for shock cord on their site and it came up with nothing so I figured I'd guessed wrong!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi, Sorry about the confusion.
When I bought mine it was a few years ago. Recently I bought some more and I had to buy a fixed length.( previously I could cut off a meter or two)
I have probably got the name of the stuff, wrong. B&Q websites can be tricky, I find. Easier to go into the store and find it in the cables, ropes and chains section.