Bow with bark left on.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7654
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7654

S'pose I'd better start on the new Forum :)
I found a nice piece of Birch(?) lying in the woodland over the Christmas hol, I managed to get a decent length which I've split in two. I'm saving the 'good half' de-barked to dry out naturally.
The 'bad half' isn't so long and is much more crowned. I'm playing with this bit for fun and hoping to leave the bark on with just the high spots lightly sanded then polished or waxed.
It's slowly tillering down, just drawing about 5" at 40lb at the moment. It will be flat bellied sort of Native American style.
I did notice that the bark really holds the moisture in (I treated myself to a moisture meter as a pressie to myself...only ?20 from Maplin), so I've been putting it on a radiator in a spare room which only gets upto abot 38degC. It started with deflex but as it's dried it's now almost straight.
The 'bark on' saves having to follow a growth ring on the back and it will be interesting to see how it turns out.
I'll post some pics.
Dunno if the bark will separate and fall off with use? Anyone tried this?
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

Here's a pic. Pretty bark eh? Shows some of the 'features' in the stave too (sort of groove up the middle near the centre).
[/IMG]
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

Hmm a talking pint! :beer:
Whatever next? :scratchch:
:)
Del
Ya could be right... :(

philhoney

As an amateur woodturner I have found that leaving the bark on whilst drying slows it down and helps to minimise splitting and cracking. It is recomended that you allow one year for each inch of thickness for the wood to dry to the ambient temp and humidity. Drying on a radiator is not good for the wood and could lead to problems. The best place I have found to store the wood while waiting for it to dry is under the bed but you have got to be patient, rushing it with unnatural heat could cause it to split or warp. As to whether the bark will stay on is a matter of luck but even if it stays on it is likely to crack across the bow the first time it is drawn.
Good luck with your project but as I said, don't rush the drying process.
Phil

D

Deleted member 7654

Cheers,
Yes, am carefull with my 'good' wood, this is just a play piece really and i'ts only been on the rad' once it was down to a manageable thickness.
I'm affraid impatience is one of my vices... :(
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

Cheers :). Nice to get a second opinon on the timber (the leaves are wallpaper bamboo, very rare, makes a poor backing as it stretches when pasted ;) )
The bark is chipping off where I've worked the nocks and handle.
Also, as I suspected might happen, the draw weight isn't coming down quick enough due to the steepish crown, so I've had to take the spokeshave to the back, it means I lose the bark and some of the interesting features, but it means I can manage the slight twist better. I'm still working it 'bark on' as it is a good guide, the growth rings being very indistinct, (I'll post a pic later)
I'll leave the bark on the handle though.
It's now got the final string on and is 40lb at 21"... another 7" to go.
I'm aiming at 40lb, so I'll maybe take it to 45to allow a bit of settling in. Assuming it doesn't explode first, it's my first Birch bow so it's a bit of an unknown, feels pretty good at the mo'.
Del

dusty

de crowning

Have you thought of de crowning the back
I read some where in one of the bowers bibles that this is possible to do if the grain runs parallel

Just a thought

D

Deleted member 7654

Have you thought of de crowning the back
I read some where in one of the bowers bibles that this is possible to do if the grain runs parallel

Just a thought
Cheers, yup, I've not only thought about it, I've done it :) (see previous post). Here's a pic, which shows the assymetry.
I've just about finished it now... 40lb@28" which was my target weight and I've taken it back 29" as a bit of safety margin (45lb).
[/IMG]
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

Finished-ish

I've given it a first wipe over of varnish (satin) and sanded it off.
It shoots 170 yards (paced, I know my paces are pretty good from pacing out golf shots.)The arrows were a tad tight on the string, I've also removed a bit of tip weight and tidied the nocks since shooting it, and cut the arrow pass back towards the centre line buy about 3mm, hopefully with a flight arrow I'd reach 180yds which would be nice.
The bark is still on after 18 arrows....heres a couple of pics.
The left (lower, shorter limb is at quite a tight radius)
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Del

Neo

Your bow looks very nice, and a very nice touch leaving the bark on. I hope it lasts.

Im always intrigued about bowmaking, I would love to find a piece of wood and sit and create something like a bow out of it.

For someone who isnt a natural joiner, or bow maker, what equipment have you used to carve, shape your bow, anything specific? or just standard joinery gear?

D

Deleted member 7654

Cheers, just used an axe, plane, spokeshave, rasps, files, sandpaper and a big tub of elbow grease :)
Del

woodsplitter

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
A good-looking bow, and it shoots well too - well done. I just hope the bark stays on. How does it feel?

ChakaZulu

Looking good Del!

As far as getting the next 10yds is concerned, it looks from the photo as though it would bear losing a little off the limb tips, which might gain you a couple of fps?

Looks sweet though...

D

Deleted member 7654

Cheers
Seems to feel good, I'll give it a good try at the field shoot on Saturday.
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

Yeah, I have tidied up the tips a bit.
BTW, a few stats.
Length 61 1/4"
Max limb width 2 1/4"
String follow 2", Interestingly the stave started out with about 2" deflex (it was the 'bad stave' of the pair) but as it dried this all came out leaving it about straight with a hint of reflex at the tips which I've sort of left by deliberately leaving some thickening at the nocks on the back.
I could prob' take the tips and nocks down some more, but I want a bit of built in ruggedness.
Looking forward to some serious testing at the weekend, I might make up a nice flight arrow....Now there's a discussion for the arrow forum :)
Del