Bowman classification and first Double FITA

Alison

After taking up archery 18 months ago I have now achieved Bowman classification and last week did my first double FITA at the British Target Championships. I came 3rd in my category (Ladies barebow). OK, so there were only 2 others, but I didn't do too badly for a beginner! I shot bowman on Saturday (in sunshine) and 1st class on Sunday (in pouring rain and wind).

My thanks to all those who helped make my first "big shoot" so enjoyable, particularly Karen, Mandy, Jackie and Annie. Not forgetting Steve, my team support!

Now all I need is a new tent, and a waterproof jacket that actually is, and a weight for my riser, and maybe a new string, and maybe start cranking up the draw weight from 20lb, and.....!

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Whew! Bowman in 18 months, that's very good indeed.
One question: don't you need 80 yards to get Bowman? I'm assuming this is Senior Ladies recurve. I'm surprised you can reach 80 yards reliably with 20 lbs.

rachann

Supporter
Supporter
Ladies WA 1440 Rounds (why they had to change the name I'll never know), are shot at 70, 60, 50 and 30 meters. The score needed for barebow Bowman is 602.

So well done Alison.

Alison

One question: don't you need 80 yards to get Bowman? I'm assuming this is Senior Ladies recurve. I'm surprised you can reach 80 yards reliably with 20 lbs.
I did a couple of 70m rounds, then Herefords to get a Bowman classification last month. As long as the wind isn't too gusty I can average nearly 40 per dozen at 80 yards. An average of 50 per dozen at 70m is my best so far. But if it is very windy, then everything goes to pot!