[American Flatbow] Brace height vs. amount of twists in string?

GaryN

Hi guys,

I have just acquired a pre-owned Samick SLB which is in excellent condition so I thought that I would give it a once over to set/check the brace height and also give the string a good wax.

I set the brace height as per the picture below. The bracing square is marked with minimum and maximum settings so that I do not have to remember them.

[/URL][/IMG]

To achieve the brace height above I need to put a lot of twists into the string, please see the picture below.

[/URL][/IMG]

I think that I have set the brace height correctly, that being the case do you think that the string ought to be replaced due to the amount of twists in it?

I look forward to your advice.

Thanks,

Gary.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
That's a lot of twists, but I don't know that there will be any harm done by that.
If you measure it as it is( twisted) Then untwist it till there seems to be a nice amount of twists. Measure the string again and see how much longer it is than before. Let's say it turns out( no pun intended) to be 1/4" longer. Then you may want a string 1/4" shorter than the original( with no twists) next time you buy a replacement.

Tuck

Generally between 10 and 40 twists is normal, if over 50 then you need a shorter string.

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

GaryN

Cheers guys for the feedback, looks like I need a new string but off the shelf strings for 69'' seen hard to come by.

Do you have any recommendations for people who could make me a fast flight string or two for a 69'' bow?

Thanks,

Gary.

GaryN

I had a couple of fast flight strings custom made at 65'' and although I have only tried one of them it was much better than the one that came with the bow. I think that i could have got away with 64 1/2'' but 65'' one does not require excessive amounts of twists to achieve the bows maximum brace height.

Sorted.