Bristol V handicap - Archers Mate differs significantly from my handicap tables

borgs

Hi,

I'm currently doing a provisional records officer role for our club. I have been using Archers Mate up until now to determine handicaps for rounds shot by our members. Now that it is coming close to reclassification time, I have finally managed to track down an actual copy of the handicap tables. I have cross-checked all of the handicaps against those specified by Archers Mate and they tally exactly for all but one of the rounds shot:

Bristol V - score of 968 - Archers Mate states 71, my tables state 81.

I am not sure when these tables were purchased and it is possible that there has been an errata published since.

Can anyone please shed some light on the anomaly and tell me what the correct handicap should be.

Thank you,

Steve

Flying Whale

Archer Mate is right.

Bristol 5 round was changed a few years back (2010). The distance are different.

The current handicap tables are marked (C) D. Lane 1995, 2010. If your are not, they are not current... and there are some new rounds, and a few others that were wrong.

Bristol 5 H/C 70: 976
Bristol 5 H/C 71: 956

borgs

Archer Mate is right.

Bristol 5 round was changed a few years back (2010). The distance are different.

The current handicap tables are marked (C) D. Lane 1995, 2010. If your are not, they are not current... and there are some new rounds, and a few others that were wrong.

Bristol 5 H/C 70: 976
Bristol 5 H/C 71: 956
Thanks Flying Whale,

Now that you mention it, I do now recall that happening - I wish my memory wasn't so rubbish!

The version I have in front of me is dated April 2002. I will see if our club secretary has the amendment pages.

Cheers,

Steve

borgs

Thanks Flying Whale,

Now that you mention it, I do now recall that happening - I wish my memory wasn't so rubbish!

The version I have in front of me is dated April 2002. I will see if our club secretary has the amendment pages.

Cheers,

Steve
As my edition is old, could someone please tell me, if the new Bristol V (starting at 30 yard distance) is still only valid, for the purposes of handicapping, if shot by Juniors under the age of 9 (as is, according to my version, the Metric V, Long Metric V, Short Metric V and Half Metric V).

Thank you.

P.S. I'll buy a set once this years classifications have been set (as you can only buy the handicap tables with the rules of shooting / SAPS now).

dell

The age groups have all changed, here is the Imperial set (taken from SAP):

(iii) Junior archers must shoot the round relevant to their age group or above as follows:
Round Junior Ladies Junior Gentlemen
Bristol I Jnr Gentlemen under 18
Bristol II Jnr Ladies under 18 Jnr Gentlemen under 16
Bristol III Jnr Ladies under 16 Jnr Gentlemen under 14
Bristol IV Jnr Ladies under 14 Jnr Gentlemen under 12
Bristol V Jnr Ladies under 12

HelenW

And don't forget the Bristol 5 is now shot at 30, 20 and 10 yards and doesn't have a 15 yard distance as previously. The equivalent Metric rounds (Metric 5 etc) can also be shot by U12 girls. Rose awards and records can be claimed at the appropriate shoots.

There are also a number of "short junior" rounds for U12 girls that have a similar pattern.

Both the Bristol 5 and Metric 5 are included in the Junior National Outdoor Championships weekend with appropriate awards.

borgs

The age groups have all changed, here is the Imperial set (taken from SAP):

(iii) Junior archers must shoot the round relevant to their age group or above as follows:
Round Junior Ladies Junior Gentlemen
Bristol I Jnr Gentlemen under 18
Bristol II Jnr Ladies under 18 Jnr Gentlemen under 16
Bristol III Jnr Ladies under 16 Jnr Gentlemen under 14
Bristol IV Jnr Ladies under 14 Jnr Gentlemen under 12
Bristol V Jnr Ladies under 12
Thanks dell and HelenW for your replies.

It was possibly not made clear from my last post but my question relates to the Archery GB handicap scheme itself. This is probably still on page 1 and table on page 3 of the Target Archery Handicap Scheme document.

Flying Whale

Thanks dell and HelenW for your replies.

It was possibly not made clear from my last post but my question relates to the Archery GB handicap scheme itself. This is probably still on page 1 and table on page 3 of the Target Archery Handicap Scheme document.
Handicaps do not have any relevance to age groupings. If you want you can shoot any round to get a handicap. An adult can shoot a Bristol 5 if they wish and submit their score and it should be taken in to account for the running handicap.

It is when it comes to classifications and shooting ro win tournaments and records that age groups come in to play.

The current "rules of shooting" no longer recognise the Boys under 9 as a valid age category. So any boy under 12 (including under 9s) wanting to shoot a Bristol round to win a tournament or break a record must shoot a Bristol 4. If they shoot a Bristol 5 however they can use it towards a running handicap.

Hope this helps.

borgs

Handicaps do not have any relevance to age groupings. If you want you can shoot any round to get a handicap. An adult can shoot a Bristol 5 if they wish and submit their score and it should be taken in to account for the running handicap.

It is when it comes to classifications and shooting ro win tournaments and records that age groups come in to play.

The current "rules of shooting" no longer recognise the Boys under 9 as a valid age category. So any boy under 12 (including under 9s) wanting to shoot a Bristol round to win a tournament or break a record must shoot a Bristol 4. If they shoot a Bristol 5 however they can use it towards a running handicap.

Hope this helps.
Hi Flying Whale. Thanks for the reply. I realise that handicaps are age irrelevant but it says the following in my (albeit old) version of the Handicap Scheme document:

"Rounds to be recognised for handicapping purposes are those shown in Table 1-4. They must be shot under GNAS Rules of Shooting at a Club Target Day or a meeting organised by GNAS, FITA or an affiliated body. For the puposes of handicapping, any archer, irrespective of age, may shoot any of the listed rounds, except that rounds marked * in Tables 1-4 may only be shot by Juniors under 9 years of age."

I takes this to mean that, although anyone can shoot these rounds and get an individual handicap for the round, that the handicap returned for that round should not be used to determine current handicap unless it was shot by a person under the age of 9.

Again, there are possibly other interpretations.

Flying Whale

Hi Flying Whale. Thanks for the reply. I realise that handicaps are age irrelevant but it says the following in my (albeit old) version of the Handicap Scheme document:

"Rounds to be recognised for handicapping purposes are those shown in Table 1-4. They must be shot under GNAS Rules of Shooting at a Club Target Day or a meeting organised by GNAS, FITA or an affiliated body. For the puposes of handicapping, any archer, irrespective of age, may shoot any of the listed rounds, except that rounds marked * in Tables 1-4 may only be shot by Juniors under 9 years of age."

I takes this to mean that, although anyone can shoot these rounds and get an individual handicap for the round, that the handicap returned for that round should not be used to determine current handicap unless it was shot by a person under the age of 9.

Again, there are possibly other interpretations.
As you have already said. Your documents are out of date.

There is no such think as "under 9 boys now". So there is no ambiguity any more.

borgs

Cheers Flying Whale,

I have been trying to do the records officer job (provisionally until April) without being given a current version of the handicap tables / rules. Three club members have kindly handed me theirs but they have all turned out to be out of date.

I guess that I will just bite the bullet now and purchase a set.

Thank you for the information everyone. Much appreciated.