Calories burnt in field archery.

Dennarcher

AIUK Saviour
Does anyone have any info on the above? The reason I ask is that some weight loss apps list archery as a sport (and many dont) and give calory burn per hour but for target archery only. I do both target and field and I'm sure you'll agree that tramping up and down slopes and hills over a 3km course is far more physically tasking than target. Any comments? Constructive ones would be appreciated.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I see your problem. There's a lot of sites that give a figure of around 300 per hour but it all seems to be assuming target archery.

And I think that you are right that the activities are different, involving walking over more difficult terrain while shooting less arrows.

But then hiking seems to burn about 300-600 calories per hour which isn't grossly different to the 300 for archery so maybe 300 wouldn't be a bad number to use if nobody comes up with a better number?

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
I walked 3.83 Km (6674 steps) round part of our woods today, not shooting but checking the targets, my app showed 1269 calories.

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
How many additional calories does swearing and thrashing about with an arrow rake burn??

Dennarcher

AIUK Saviour
I see your problem. There's a lot of sites that give a figure of around 300 per hour but it all seems to be assuming target archery.

And I think that you are right that the activities are different, involving walking over more difficult terrain while shooting less arrows.

But then hiking seems to burn about 300-600 calories per hour which isn't grossly different to the 300 for archery so maybe 300 wouldn't be a bad number to use if nobody comes up with a better number?
Thanks for your reply. I think that perhaps the upper hiking figure of 600 may be too high but 300 too low as although we shoot fewer arrows in a round than target archers the terrain makes Field more strenuous. Garmin allows one to record archery as an activity but gives no value for calories burnt, although one can input them manually. I think that I will use a compromise figure of 450, bearing in mind the "thrashing about with an arrow rake" noted below!

Dennarcher

AIUK Saviour
I walked 3.83 Km (6674 steps) round part of our woods today, not shooting but checking the targets, my app showed 1269 calories.
Thanks for your reply. What app do you use? I'm using Strava. I recorded my last shoot on our 3.1Km course and it came up with 779 Calories. Thats quite a big difference from your figure even allowing for your 700m longer course.

steve

I know a couple of people who, when asked by their GP what exercise they do. have mentioned archery and been told "that doesn't count". The GPs have obviously never shot a York or Hereford round, let alone field archery.

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
Thanks for your reply. What app do you use? I'm using Strava. I recorded my last shoot on our 3.1Km course and it came up with 779 Calories. Thats quite a big difference from your figure even allowing for your 700m longer course.
I use Google Fit for Android.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I know a couple of people who, when asked by their GP what exercise they do. have mentioned archery and been told "that doesn't count". The GPs have obviously never shot a York or Hereford round, let alone field archery.
My physio asked what I did for exercise. She was actually impressed when I said field archery and Latin and ballroom.

I reckon that it made a change from people muttering something vague about going for walks.

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
actually we find that people put on weight doing archery ... something to do with sausage sundays and the multiple sausage baguettes consumed!

Dennarcher

AIUK Saviour
Sounds (and looks) like heaven, unless one is trying to loose a bit of weight! Do the GA archers then go home and have the traditional Sunday lunch? Our club up here in Moray is too tiny to even think about anything like that. A thermos of hot chocolate etc after the shoot is as much as we can manage!

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
Sounds (and looks) like heaven, unless one is trying to loose a bit of weight! Do the GA archers then go home and have the traditional Sunday lunch? Our club up here in Moray is too tiny to even think about anything like that. A thermos of hot chocolate etc after the shoot is as much as we can manage!
Unknown what they get up to after leaving the field BUT Last week we had an associate archer turn up just 2 minutes after the last sausage was consumed (3 packs of cumberland chipolatas). The irony was .. he normally has breakfast before joining us but this sunday he said to his wife "I won't bother with breakfast, they'll feed me at the field!"
Ooops! :oops: :ROFLMAO: