Can you help identify this vintage recurve bow?

mrskywalker

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping someone might be able to help me identify a vintage recurve bow I recently acquired from my father. As far as know it was originally purchased in the 1960s, single piece and made of rosewood? There is a logo but it looks slightly faded, I believe it says "Sherwood Archery"?

I have attached a couple of images to see if anyone recognises this and could tell me a little more about it? Is it a good bow or unremarkable?

AJBrady

I had a Sherwood Poitier in 1967; they were priced around the same as Marksman bows at that time. (The bow above isn't a Poitier.)

I traded it in for a Marksman Olympic TS4, which I was much happier with.

Berny

It was their top-of-the-range Sherwood "Stamford" made of rosewood - came to market in '68
196806-BA-V20N1-Jun68-p02-Sherwood-STAMFORD_new (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

mrskywalker

Thanks Berny, that was a great find, much appreciated.

Do you think it's a good bow or unremarkable these days? I'm not really qualified to comment on it's shooting quality as I have no experience or anything modern to compare it to. The poundage is probably a little high for me being inexperienced and not having developed the muscles required, but otherwise it's a nice looking bow.

A bargain at £45 back in '68 Any idea what it might be worth today?

Berny

Back in the day it claimed to be the first bow to offer poker &/or twins - personally i don't know anything about shooting with the attachments as never done it myself. I collect bows so if it comes with those then ....
Here's mine (click<---!) Stamford-1-mine-(1).JPG
Very much like yours, 1-piece of rosewood - which i think is a beautiful bow wood & buy bows just cos they look nice.
I paid £35 for mine, so as to value of yours, thereabouts or poss. a bit more with a fair wind.
Prob. is, most people don't even know what it is/was .... a golden age bow ....
You could always hang onto it 'til your're a bit more experienced - it is a 70" so should be easier to draw than something shorter
but that also depends on you ....
....but before stringing & potentially shooting it you need to do your "due diligence" & whatever you do don't put a "modern" string on (no Whispers, Grizzlys, Xs) use Dacron B50/B55 only.