Carbon lamination question

flatfoot

Would like to try and lay in a piece of 0.015 carbon core to a new project AFB. Proposing Pignut Hickory backing. Purpleheart core and Lemonwood belly. Then lay the carbon between the back and the Purpleheart. If you kind gentlemen are able to advise. Is this the best stack or would the carbon be better under the Purpleheart? Too old and dumb to calculate stresses.
Any advice or opinion appreciated as I am waiting to go. But dithering over this layup.

D

Deleted member 7654

I can see no point in having carbon in there at all!
What are you expecting it to contribute other than a pretty black line?
IMO that combination will only be a strong in compression as the Lemonwood belly and the backing strength will depend on how well the back was selected and cut.
I'm happy to stand corrected if you are an experienced bowyer... but were that the case you wouldn't be asking the question!

Remember a chain is only as strong as the weakest link.
Del

flatfoot

Del - I am a modest born again ELB bowyer from many years back. Although an experienced gunstocker.
I have made only a couple of AFB`s this time round. The laminations where as above but of course, no carbon.
I was interested to see what difference a carbon strip might make. Since the two bows already made and the one proposed will have essentially the same profile before tillering. Maybe I will start with a slightly trapped belly this time to mitigate the extra strength. That material can always come off if not required.
I will go on to lay it up, if only to see what it produces.
I will as you suggested previously, be using epoxy instead of my usual Urea.