Carter Carter Maintanance?

SiKirk

Hi all,
Just got a 2nd hand Just B Cuz and I was wondering if it was worth opening it up (it's way out of warranty) and cleaning it up/checking it over?
Personally, I'd like to check it all over and clean it, but if people say it's a bad idea, I wont bother.
thanks
-Si

english_archer

Ironman
If you do decide to open it do it inside of a clear plastic bag or you may find yourself playing find the spring :/ John Dudley has a couple of articles about stripping them on his website.

CPlater1

^^What he said^^ I personally only opened mine to see how it works. If you want to clean it, do not lube it, or if you do, lube it sparingly, dust will collect otherwise and the smoothness may be affected.

SiKirk

The web site recommends wd40. I may squirt some into the ITS hole and the blow it all through with compressed air. :)
Plastic bag is a good tip though.

CPlater1

Using WD40 is just for cleaning, then you remove the WD40. Just spraying it in the hole will leave some in there, which will gunk up.

SiKirk

Ahh, I best not do that then!
thanks all, I've got a good idea what to do, and not do, now.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I tend to open mine up to find out how they work. Having a plastic bag to work in is a good idea, I have strong magnets on the case as I open them, to catch any small washers or springs.etc.
It's a good idea to activate the release as it takes some pressure off any compressed spring inside.
Clean to get rid of grit on the inside of the case and on the moving parts.
A magnifying glass is helpful,too, to look at the sharp edges of the seers, they sometimes get rounded or chipped.

SiKirk

All sorted.
Glad I opened it up and cleaned each part as it was fairly dirty. It's like a new release now.
I did drop a spring (5 min panic mode) and getting the covers back on was very fiddly.
-Si

SiKirk

Well... It was fiddly until I realised that if I put the parts in the other half of the casing, the springs fit into now little gaps (not so the other side!).
Easy peasy now. :)