cetnter serving question

Kenjichan

Hi all. I've just gotten into string making with some not too bad results. Just a few q's though...
I pull 48lbs on the fingers on a 70 inch W&W inno carbon. I don't know why it's different from my old horizon but there is about a 3/4" difference I have to adjust for on the jig. That's no big deal.

I tried 8190 and really didn't like it too much, it felt like I had a steel cable on it, so I decided to try 8125G. So far, it seems pretty nice.
When making a string, I know that BCY recommends 18 strands, but this seems like some sort of liability #### covering to me. If I can prestrech 16 strands at 350lbs for an hour, I don't think my bow is going to do much to it. Or is this regarding limb wear?

Anyway, I like to use easton small g nocks. With 16 strands if I use halo .021, I get a nice fit. However, if I use 18 strands, the thickness is already somewhat snug on my nock. So .021 is out, even .019 would force me to use a bigger nock. For my end servings I use halo .014, is this suitable as a centre serving as well?

ThomVis

The thicker the string, the more stable and slower it's going to be while shooting. The speed difference is measurable through a chronograph, not really noticeable just flinging arrows. The stability will show in group size.
The halo .014 will work fine for center serving. I make my string with 18 strands 8125 and a center serving .016 thick.
Take a look at this document, it has recommendations on string count a center serving size.

OskarsL

I'm not an expert, so might be missing something. But why not just use larger nocks if you prefer 18 strands?

Kenjichan

I don't really have a preference. To be honest, I'm not even sure how 16 and 18 differ. I've just always used 16 strands even when I bought them.

Bald Eagle

I found 8125g to be larger diameter than regular 8125 and a 14 strand string with 0.22 Diamondback centre serving works well for small G nocks!

Kenjichan

Performance wise, what is the difference between 16 and 18?
14 strands feels like I'm gripping a razor and anything over 18 feels like a rope to me...

caspian

tried 8190 and really didn't like it too much, it felt like I had a steel cable on it, so I decided to try 8125G. So far, it seems pretty nice.
8190 is 100% dyneema, so very little give. I'm a little surprised it feels different on the fingers unless the diameter is also different though.

When making a string, I know that BCY recommends 18 strands, but this seems like some sort of liability #### covering to me. If I can prestrech 16 strands at 350lbs for an hour, I don't think my bow is going to do much to it. Or is this regarding limb wear?
the manufacturer isn't going to tell you it's OK to do something that might damage equipment, you, or their reputation. the sales they get won't cover a single lawsuit, or a few bad social media posts for that matter.

that said, they're also interested in demonstrating their product has the best performance in comparison to their competition, so they're not telling you to hobble yourself for no reason.

if you want to shoot 16 strands on a recurve then I think you're perfectly OK doing so, you'll just need to adjust the centre serving via whatever method you require.

Anyway, I like to use easton small g nocks. With 16 strands if I use halo .021, I get a nice fit. However, if I use 18 strands, the thickness is already somewhat snug on my nock. So .021 is out, even .019 would force me to use a bigger nock. For my end servings I use halo .014, is this suitable as a centre serving as well?
I also prefer small diameter nocks for recurve. I don't think there is a performance difference either way, it's just that my preferred string material/strand count/centre serving suits small groove, and I can't see why padding the centre serving out to large groove is an improvement. use what you like for serving, if it works for you then it works. personal preference aside I don't think there is much difference really. I do like .018" Diamondback for centres because it goes on very well for me and grips superbly, but it does wear a little faster than a "harder" serving like Halo, so take your pick.

D

Deleted member 7654

You can lay extra strands under the centre serving to get any size and comfort you like.
I generally use 10 strands and often have 4 or more to pad out the serving.
There is nothing to stop you having a 4 strand string and a 1/2" diameter serving.
Del

briantodd

Strings and things

For what it's worth... If you look at traditional bowlers bible they recomned 7 strands, as the strands in the centre of the string do nothing other than add bulk. Think of a flower with a centre core and 6 petals, so for me a flight archer its 7 strands or maybe 6 on a 50 lb bow, then the centre serving is braided fishing line, it's woven the same as halo but about 1/3 of the cost and easy to get from e bay. And obtainable in .008. When applied it's almost see through producing a string with serving of 1.8 mm now that's a small nock...

This post is also likely to contain nuts in homage to del