Click in Hoyt Cam 1/2+

Exarcher

Several compound archers in my club, including me, seem to be experiencing the same problem......

A very pronounced 'click' has appeared and it's coming from the bottom cam. It's very audible and you can feel it through the bow as you near full draw. We're all using the Cam 1/2 or cam 1/2+

Has anybody else experienced this problem ?

Does anybody know of a fix ??

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If someone watches as the bow is drawn, it might coincide with the module starting to contact the cable. That might indicate the module is moving. Just an idea.

Exarcher

It's well past that point on mine. The bottom module is only held onto the cam by a single grub screw so mine is held tight in place with a non-permanent thread-loc.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I don't have my cam 1/2 now so can't "see" the modules. Is it possible with one screw, that at one position in the draw, the cable presses the module up against the central hub of the cam?
Does it happen every time you draw the bow; or just when you draw after making a shot?( my bow has a slight tick if I draw then come down slowly;not there if I shoot)

babylon5

Top Meerkat!
Supporter
Ironman
Can't say I've noticed on any of the four Hoyts we have in the house (three of which have Cam&1/2+, one is older Cam&1/2). I'm at work just now but I'll check our bows this evening and let you know.

One question, do you (and the others experiencing this) have the little rubber stop on the lower module? I leave mine in situ but I know that some people remove it as they claim it feels like it gives a harder wall.

Exarcher

@ Geoff.... it happens every time I come up to full draw. Grub screw is still tight, with no apparent movement we can see between cam and module when we draw it back, but we can hear and feel it somwhere in the cam.

@ Babylon, I've taken the rubber out.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have noticed that the click on my bow, seems more frequent when I have had the bow in the press. Perhaps it's connected to the bottom limb, moving in its guides. It can be difficult to trace noises, as a cam could make the limb sound guilty and vice versa.

Nightimer

I seem to remember I hade a similar problem on my Ultra tech (Command cam).
I stripped the bow down and applied some silicon grease to the limb pockets etc and re built the bow.
No more click.

A

ASW1973

only 2 possible reasons for this sound.
1) a poorly seated limb so press the bow and re-seat the limbs. Pay attention to the plastic shoes that the limb sits against for excessive movement or cracks.
2) a broken bearing. basically no big deal, ie it doesnt affect performance but easily replaced as cam and a half bearing are interchangeable with merlin bearings so get some from them or a decent skateboard shop. (an extremely broken bearing can be seen in cam moving left or right during draw but normally just a ball bearing inside the bearing "module" itself is clicking so just replace it)

Nightimer

Nightimer, that sounds about right. Is silicon grease better for bows than other lubes?
I dont know the answer to that but any sort of grease applied sparingly would do the job.
It just happened that the grease I used was the nearest to hand at the time !!

Nightimer

babylon5

Top Meerkat!
Supporter
Ironman
OK, now home and I've checked three of the bows we have: Vantage Elite, Vantage X8 and Avenger Plus.

Both the VE and the Avenger have the rubber stop on the lower module and do not make the noise. These bows have come "as new" (i.e. we're the first owners) and currently have the factory string/cables fitted.

The X8 does not have the rubber stop and does make the noise. It doesn't have the standard factory string/cables fitted. Whilst on the face of it this suggests that the click is in some way related to the absence of the rubber stop, I would point out that the X8 is second hand and so I don't know the full history of the bow; it could be as ASW suggests that something is "broken" or cracked (though the bow seems to shoot perfectly well).

So not conclusive, but interesting.

Mike

Stash

Hoyt clicks are fairly common and as has been stated, and although it might sound like it's the cam, it's usually in the limb seating in the limb pocket. Take apart and lubricate.

babylon5

Top Meerkat!
Supporter
Ironman
Hoyt clicks are fairly common and as has been stated, and although it might sound like it's the cam, it's usually in the limb seating in the limb pocket. Take apart and lubricate.
Don't disagree with that assessment Stash, but it is interesting that:
  • In each of the cases (those reported by Exarcher plus my X8) the sound is definitely coming from the lower part of the bow (whether cam or limbs);
  • In the case of my bow and Exarcher's bow, the rubber stop on the lower module has been removed (though as I've stated this may just be coincidence).
I'm not particularly bothered about this as my bow shoots fine but I do find it curious - I love a mystery! I'm not convinced that it is to do with the rubber stop, as the click often occurs before the bow comes to full draw (but not far off) and I can't see what real difference the rubber stop makes.

Worth noting that I've since found that if I put a fair amount of pressure on the module on the lower cam (without drawing the bow back) I hear a more muted 'click' as if it is moving very slightly, though there's no visible movement and all the screws are tight.

Mike

Stash

Try this: Draw the bow (-click-) and shoot. Then draw the bow (-click-) but DON'T shoot - let it down instead. Then draw the bow again. Is there a click?

If there is no click after a letdown, it's definitely in the limbs/limb pockets as they sort of re-seat themselves after the shock of a shot.

If there is a click after a letdown, then look for something in the cam.

Hoyt Hooligan

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Take the module off the cam clean it and apply a smear of grease on the back of the module and reassemble. the click should now be gone.
it takes longer to bloody type this than do the fix.
Cheers HH

Exarcher

Thanks for your input chaps. I contacted a main Hoyt Dealer about this problem and they identified it as movement between the cam and the module. Slightly loosening the grub screw that holds them together immidiately got rid of the click. But not likeing the thought of the module coming loose, I put a smear of grease between the two and tightened it back in position with a none permanent threadlock (great minds think alike H.H).

The click has gone (hopefully for good)..... it's also made the bow shoot extremely well........ I started a FITA last sunday with 118 dozen at 90m !

mcp_snygg

I had the same problem with my hoyt bow. We thougth that it was the bearing in the lower cam....but after some investigation we found that the sound originates from the lower limb pocket.
Solution...thighten the 2 bolts on the side of the limb pocket.