Clogged Adhesive Tube

eric

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Do you have an answer to my adhesive problem? After trying a range of fletching glues I have settled on "Fletch-tite" which works well for me on both feathers and plastic vanes. The problem is I only manage to use about a third of the tube, if that, before the nozzle clogs up and the tube is useless. Is this a common problem and what can be done about it. A pin down the nozzle only makes the problem worse. I have had the same problem with other types of fletching glue.
Many thanks

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I don't find it lasts much more than a year or so, but I have read it needs the cap fitted tightly and also kept in a plastic bag. I always cut the nozzle down so it makes it much easier to unblock, which always happens after a few months in a box.
1609538256382.png
oh... and don't forget to clean the push-on cap as it fills with glue at the end and stops it sealing properly.

Last edited:

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
That's strange - I use Fletch-Tite and don't have any issues with it at all, and I don't consciously do anything special with it to make it last.

I've been trying to think what I do that might make me luckier than others. I do keep the cap on the tip as much as possible and keep the tube, especially the tip, clean but that's more to keep it easy and pleasant to use than to make the glue last. I keep my tools in the attic where it's cold. I have a repair session every month or two so it's in regular use. So I guess one or more of these may help longevity.

IMG_20210102_125900.jpg

Like Kid Curry says, once the seal is broken the tube is on borrowed time but I find it's of the order of a year rather than weeks.

Last edited:

Ian

AIUK Saviour
I use Bostik All Purpose glue for both vanes and feathers,it has excellent adhesive qualities,lasts a long time,is reasonably priced and does not suffer from the nozzle getting clogged up.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I use Bostik All Purpose glue for both vanes and feathers,it has excellent adhesive qualities,lasts a long time,is reasonably priced and does not suffer from the nozzle getting clogged up.
That's what I used to use when I shot feathers; it worked great. I always used Fletch-Tite with vanes on alis though. Now I think about it I can't say why in either case - it was probably advice that I was given at some point and it worked for me so I didn't think about it any further.

Ian

AIUK Saviour
Bostik never let me down so I just stuck with it (excuse the pun) and have not tried anything else.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
I use Fletchtite on aluminium and have never had a problem with it clogging - I've got to the end of every tube I've used. But much seems to depend on how it was stored before it got to you. Distributors and retailers may store it in conditions which are too hot or too cold, either of which will affect the quality of the glue.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
ArrowMate is my first choice. But as I never use anything else I'm not really in a position to say whether or not it is better than the opposition.

ThomVis

With liquid gasket tubes I smear some of the stuff near the base where the cap meets the tube to create a seal. With glue that's not a good idea, but you can use Vaseline instead.

eric

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I don't find it lasts much more than a year or so, but I have read it needs the cap fitted tightly and also kept in a plastic bag. I always cut the nozzle down so it makes it much easier to unblock, which always happens after a few months in a box.
View attachment 8448
oh... and don't forget to clean the push-on cap as it fills with glue at the end and stops it sealing properly.
Thanks
View attachment 8448
thanks for your reply

eric

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
That's strange - I use Fletch-Tite and don't have any issues with it at all, and I don't consciously do anything special with it to make it last.

I've been trying to think what I do that might make me luckier than others. I do keep the cap on the tip as much as possible and keep the tube, especially the tip, clean but that's more to keep it easy and pleasant to use than to make the glue last. I keep my tools in the attic where it's cold. I have a repair session every month or two so it's in regular use. So I guess one or more of these may help longevity.

View attachment 8449

Like Kid Curry says, once the seal is broken the tube is on borrowed time but I find it's of the order of a year rather than weeks.
Thanks

eric

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour

View attachment 8449

Perhaps I try to keep it too long

eric

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thanks I am going to try this