Clubs with members of more than one association.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
As for the rules of shooting, it you are organising a competition or fun shoot then the rules of shooting to be adhered to need to be declared when the shoot is announced.

As for people shooting on the course for fun then we've found it doesn't really matter. Safety rules aren't incompatible and people tend not to be bothered if you are shooting (for example) an AGB barebow without a stabilizer or an NFAS barebow with one.

Quentin Mabbutt

You are raising two different issues here.

A number of discussions on this board seem to be distillable down to the feeling that there it's a section of AGB membership that feels that it is not getting value for money for it's membership fee. There is the argument that archery is a low cost sport compared to others, eg golf, and that is true. However, it is also true that I personally know people who have switched clubs (and by implication association) in order to reduce costs, and people who have given up shooting completely due to the level of fees.

And of course I know of clubs that have switched associations.

Personally, I'm able to pay my fees to both my AGB club and my NFF club but if money were to get tight I'd drop AGB in a heartbeat. And that's a feeling that ought to bother AGB.
Many thanks for your reply and breaking out the issues. The AGB question has been rumbling on for a while and has polarised around the cost v benefit balance. I began archery in the late 2000's (following my son) and have never considered it to be a sport without costs. Low cost, where you damage some of your equipment over time (arrows), and the vast upgrades in equipment over the last decade or so, as an argument has never held much water for me. I have no experience of other archery associations other than AGB but I feel the headlong rush to dispense with their framework solely in the name of cost cutting seems a little like opening the gates to the asylum for me.

I may be worrying unnecessarily but I value your comments and thank you for your time to consider my earlier post.
Regards

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
On the one hand I agree with your points. On the other I can't help feeling that the benefits from AGB aren't shared out equally.

I remember sheltering from the rain in my club's ugly rusty shipping container, standing there trying not to disturb the wasp's nest in the corner, feeling really hard done to, and coming home to read about AGB subsidising a new clubhouse for a club down in England whose clubhouse, as far as I could make out, wasn't just quite sexy enough.*

* I admit that details may have become exaggerated in my mind due to the iniquitousness of it all, but not the basic story.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
On the one hand I agree with your points. On the other I can't help feeling that the benefits from AGB aren't shared out equally.

I remember sheltering from the rain in my club's ugly rusty shipping container, standing there trying not to disturb the wasp's nest in the corner, feeling really hard done to, and coming home to read about AGB subsidising a new clubhouse for a club down in England whose clubhouse, as far as I could make out, wasn't just quite sexy enough.*

* I admit that details may have become exaggerated in my mind due to the iniquitousness of it all, but not the basic story.
I think you'll find that the club probably got a grant from some local fund and were helped to do so by the Sport England development team who work with clubs in England and are funded by the government in a similar way to SportScotland. Clubs are not given money for club houses out of membership funds.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
You are very possibly correct. I don't think that I have the magazine to check.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Yeah, our clubhouse (which replaced a rather rundown lean to) was mostly paid for by various grants (local council, lottery fund, etc), but we did have a member on the committee who was very proactive at these things.