Coming back after injury; sort of.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
So Captain wobbly archer has suffered setback number 3633556 recently just after spending £80 on a new rest. The back of my entire upper body decided to throw a wobbly; scapula area, neck then a nearly lifelong shoulder injury (dodgy rotator cuffs, I’ve partially dislocated my right shoulder about 45 times, been hospitalised once) decided it wasn’t getting enough attention so had a fit too.
It’s nothing awful; just a strain/tightness and I’ve been functioning almost fine (except for the whining) and doing stretches, yoga, surfing, running, shooting all fine. But typically pulling my bow has been giving me problems. It’s not total disaster but it has hurt afterwards and felt like it’s not a good thing to do.
So things feel okayish now but I’m nervous of stuffing it up; archery is one of many sports we do so a break hasn’t been a tradegy but it’s annoying.
Lighter limbs would be a big expense and I’m generally stronger than your average 45 year old so I should be able to pull 52ish pounds (my lightest poundage) okay. I’ve done it hundreds of times before. So any tips? I’ve found some good warm up routines which should help but I’m just wary of triggering another mental block that’ll cause trouble.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Don't know if it'll help but these are the exercises that I was given when my shoulder was playing up. They start off with wand exercises to regain range of motion without using the injured area, then light motion exercises and finally strength exercises.

As for the weight, 52 seems a lot when injured. I went down to less than 20 when I was recovering.

And yes, warm up. And cool down. They're both vital even though few bother. I do the non-wand exercises on page 1, but there's nothing special about them. It's just getting the shoulders moving.

Attachments

AndyW

I used to stand against a door frame and hook my draw fingers around the frame, then lean back and pull back with the one arm. It strengthens your draw arm quite well after a few weeks and you can go as easy or hard as you like.