Competition scoring software thoughts

Brew_And_A_Shoot

Hi,

Having been an archer for several years and run competitions on paper I became frustrated by the paper work with runners running all over the place with duplication in entry along with a single point of entry on say a spreadsheet. Then the stress of getting the results out.

So, for my MSc computing project I created a distributed scoring system which I have now developed into a working system. At the moment it is almost complete bar sorting out EULA wording.

A demonstration can be viewed here: Arrow Score Demonstration - YouTube. Since making the video I have added blank score sheet generation.

I'm interested if anybody would like to purchase the software, what price and how long the licence should be. Such as price x for x years.

I have no intention of making a profit as I wanted to complete the work for myself and could no way recuperate the time spent in the process.

Many thanks,

Gareth
(brew_and_a_shoot)

Brew_And_A_Shoot

I've realised that I should say the benefits of the software:

1. Runners enter the scores remotely using a Java or Mobile web interface directly into the scoring system.
2. Scorer monitors activity and makes corrections as required.
3. Leader board and target list web page created on demand and available to anybody who connects to the scorer's computer just like any other web server - has it's own in built web server. So anybody with a smartphone with a web browser that you give the network key (SSID) to can access the leader board and target list.
4. Small and efficient, server, leader board, runner web servers will operate on a 256Mb Raspberry Pi.
5. Allows multiple runners and scorers using it at the same time on different machines within a wired / wireless network.
6. Full range of rounds available with score validation.
7. Full target allocation and blank score sheet production.
8. Instant overall results sheet produced by setting the leader board to display all Archers.
9. Printing of results through any web browser.
10. Written in Java SE (does not need web plugin) so can run on any machine for which a runtime environment is available.
11. Runners using the web interface to enter scores use a separate 'port' so you can choose only to let certain machines enter scores.
12. All data saved as text readable XML files so you can reuse the data in other competitions without repeating data entry.

I've tested in the field using a portable TP-Link mini-hub and get ranges around 120M from an iPod Touch. Outside designed wireless hubs should give better results.

Cheers,

Gareth

Tuck

Existing shoot control software is in the ?25 ish range with free updates, every few years a large update requires a small additional licence upgrade fee.

Brew_And_A_Shoot

Thanks Tuck :)

Existing shoot control software is in the ?25 ish range with free updates, every few years a large update requires a small additional licence upgrade fee.
That gives me a good idea of where to place my software as it is fully multi-user and operates over several machines at the same time (if desired).

- - - Updated - - -

Dear Dave,

Thanks for the information, do you have a link so I can compare. I'm not really willing to give the software away for free as it took a substantial amount of time to create.

Cheers,

Brew and a shoot.

Brew_And_A_Shoot

Hi flint666,

I finished the software early last year. But have had no interest at all, so to be honest gave up on it. I intend to use it for myself in the future and see how things go. Perhaps that may help to get things going.

I can see that there are other online applications that offer similar functionality which are funded by advertising. However, this works offline and therefore the advertising support model does not quite work.

Cheers,

Brew and a shoot.

Brew_And_A_Shoot

Thanks for the idea. The internet thing is here to stay. However, converting it to a J2EE web application that would run on a Tomcat server is a tall order. Probably three to six months work full time!

It would mean a total re-write of one of the components. All the interfaces converted to web-pages and investigating how RMI facilitated interoperability between processes. Then find hosting that supports J2EE etc.

The application suite as it stands is fine. One day I may re-write it all for that deployment scenario.

The thing is that it fills a gap where there is no internet access, like an archery field for instance. Yes, you can get Mobile G3 etc. access. But that is not the point. With this system you have total control over availability and be in a position to deal with any connectivity issues. You are not reliant on somebody else's system working and being reliable when you most need it. Internet solutions are outside of your direct control and are subject to failures that rely on others to fix.

With this system you are in full control of it in its entirety, from battery life to connections.

flint666

Hi,

id still like to see it I think the biggest issue you face is that it's already a small market and the software out there is already cheap and established and it seams that archery in general has the view of if it isn't broken......

did you ever decide on a pricing structure ? as it would be a shame for nobody to use it.

cheers

Andy

Brew_And_A_Shoot

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your reply. What I'll do is resurrect the code, produce a limited use at your own risk trial version and find somewhere for it to be downloaded from. Once people want to use it and there is enough interest then I'll create an installation guide beyond the video above. Price wise, I was thinking of ?20GBP for a two year licence.

Having scored on many competitions and shot too then I have seen where there is a need to make the scoring process faster such that the 'raffle' does not have to drag on. The biggest hold up is the data entry and being multi-user this system solves that problem, so I believe there is something broken to fix rather than 'did I put 24 twists in the string or just 22?'.

Cheers,

Gareth