Compound drop away rest suggestions for target - unable to draw TT launcher at mo

ajt_uk

Hi All,

Bit of a newbie here but thought I would ask for some advice... Currently shoot a Hoyt Maxxis 35 at 52-53lbs DW - 27" DL. All is usually fine but I have a niggling shoulder issue thats not allowing me to currently, comfortably draw back using my TT launcher. Now I know with some R&R that the pain will go and everything will right itself - I was stupid and strained my shoulder bowling... haha

Am looking at swapping my Trophy Taker launcher for a drop away rest for the time being so that the arrows are held better upon draw so they dont pop off the tounge (only happens while drawing back). My draw is usually fine so no issues with form, more of an issue with beer and a bowing ball!! :)

Anyone have any suggestions as to a solid, reliable drop away that I can use for target - indoor (eclipse arrows) and outdoor (ACG and X10 arrows). And thats fairly easy to set up?

Who knows, I may well stick to it if I like it but I will keep my TT to hand as its so reliable. The few "Dark-siders" at my club all shoot launchers so my info base on compound kit is a bit limited.

All the best
AJT

buzz lite beer

It may be a problem that could be simply solved by just adding a little more space between nocking points and or D-loop this will reduce nock pinch that tends to be the reason your arrow lifts off the rest. :)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The Spot Hogg Whammy seems like it should fit the bill very well. Perhaps check that the support can be set wider for fat arrows.

urbin

The Hamskea versarest is very easy to set up and can be configured in a number of ways (including as a blade rest). I've got mine set up as a limb-activated drop away. They're not cheap, though.

M

Moose

Alternatively get a spot hog Infiniti and put the prongs on they can be set as wide or as narrow as you need for fat arrows and a lot less likely that they will jump off unless you have nock pinch and once you are back to health you can also easily put the blade attachment on which uses two hole trophy taker blades

Moose on the loose

Dansig

I had the same problem with my compound, put my new Beiter rest on it and I still had the same problem.. changed the servings on the string and put a new D-loop so the space between the servings is just a bit wider and they don't pinch the arrow anymore, problem solved..

ajt_uk

Thanks for all the info. Problem is def the way I'm having to draw bow with the shoulder niggle. Arrow pinch and usually arrows draw perfectly. Guess I'm just gonna have to wait till my shoulder is better as drop away rests don't seem to be highly regarded with compound shooters.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
AJT, I think the truth is that many compound shooters find they get equally good results with a fixed rest, so they say "less to go wrong" and opt for that. In your case, keeping the arrow on the rest would make things better for you at present.

Nightimer

Did you need special piles for that,Nightimer?
Yes,as I was probably the first person in the UK to use the Air rest they made me a special set of piles to fit my ACC 328's.
I sent them a small piece of shaft and they produced the piles to fit.
It works very well and tuning was easy.
You do need a solid wall and under no circumstances must you creep as the arrow drops out of the magnetic field,with obvious results.
The system has two downsides.
1. Its heavy !!!
2. When you draw and anchor the arrow tends to vibrate as it settles in the field so time must be taken to allow for it to settle completely.
On paper its the ideal rest,no moving parts,springs, small allen screws.
The only screws are for vertical and horizontal adjustment.

Dansig

how does that rest work with non magnetic arrows ?
most target arrows are aluminum or carbon fiber, points can be stainless steel, tungsten and other metal blends but iron is almost never used.
non magnetic arrow should just drop to the bottom of that rest...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nightimer

The points were made by the rest manufacturer.
I have just checked one of the points and the point tip is non magnetic but the bit that fits in the shaft IS magnetic.
As you draw the bow the arrow slides along the rest.
When you reach full draw the arrow springs into the centre of the magnetic field.
The three rare earth magnets in the rest (I think thats correct) try and repel the shaft due to the polarity of the magnet in the point,thus keeping the arrow in the middle of the force field.
It was designed as a hunting rest but I used it on one of my bows for shooting target.

buzz lite beer

how does that rest work with non magnetic arrows ?
most target arrows are aluminum or carbon fiber, points can be stainless steel, tungsten and other metal blends but iron is almost never used.
non magnetic arrow should just drop to the bottom of that rest...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Easton Tungsten arrow points are attracted by magnets :)

chuffalump

I think the insert used in the pile must also be magnetic. Simple steel or iron would not hover since the system would be too unstable.

Nightimer

Yes it is,it's the opposite polarity to the magnets in the rest.
The three magnets in the rest are repelling the magnet in the arrow by equal amounts,that's why the arrow is held firmly in the middle of the rest.