Compound stabiliser not straight

waynerp

Hi all. I've a newbie to archery and have moved to a compound at an early stage ( so I'm told ) but am loving it. I have a PSE pro series bow, and the hole that houses the front stabaliser is slightly off centre to the right, meaning the stabaliser is pointing to the right by about 3 or 4 degrees. I have had the bow set up correctly so it doesn't affect the shooting or anything like that, it is just REALLY annoying. Is there anyway to correct this?
Any advice or tips would be much appreciated.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Sometimes, all it takes is a washer on the thread before you attach it to the bow. If that washer isn't the same thickness all round, it will change the angle slightly when tight. If the angle gets worse, loosen the longrod a little, rotate the washer 180 deg and tighten it again.
I have taken a file to a washer before now, just to make sure it was a little thin on one side. Glue the washer on, the right way round, so it doesn't slip each time.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Are you sure the washer wasn't equally thick all round? if it is equally thick then there will be no difference.
Yes, this is a common problem, because the slightest amount of being out of alignment in the riser, is magnified by the length of the rod.
It isn't serious as you already know, it just looks bad, to some people.

waynerp

Yes i cut down a thick washer so it is thinner on one side. I guess i will have to live with it. Many thanks for your help

Bald Eagle

I'm surprised that the longrod bushing in the bow is "off", it's usually the longrod thread that's not quite straight. Have you tried a different long rod on your bow?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Another way!
I have made a block that allows me to fit my longrod to the bow, so it slopes down and out of view at full draw. I made it for clout shooting so I could aim and not have the longrod hiding the flag.
It is a block of ally about 3cm x 2cmx 1.5cm
There are two holes in it, one takes a 5/16" bolt and screws it to the bow through the longrod hole.
The second hole is below the first, and is tapped to accept 5/16" unf thread. The longrod screws into that.
The first one I made, I simply bent the block in a vice, after the holes were finished, until the long rod drooped enough to be out of view.
The latest one, I formed a slope on the face where the tapped hole would be drilled, and drilled the hole perpendicular to that face.
Fit the block to the bow and the longrod into the block and it slopes downwards.
But, if I deliberately fit the block so it isn't quite aligned up and down, it tilts the rod to one side or the other. Or, in your case it would ,in one position, point the longrod directly ahead.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter

Sorry about the blur. The top hole is drill 5/16" the lower is tapped to 5/16" unf
This is the early model and you should see the bend.