Arrows Correct spines for Victory VXTs

pwjones66

Hi

Does anyone understand the spines of Victory VXTs?

I'm intending buying some, and am unsure about spines.

I shoot Olympic style target recurve. My draw length is 27.5" to the button, with an arrow length of 29.25", and a 46# draw weight at the length.

The spine chart on the VXT page places me on the border of 450 & 355 spine with a 120gr point.

If I increased the point weight to 150gr, the increase would place me squarely in 355 spine.

Am I correct in this?

I ask because I've seen a couple of versions of the VXT spine chart, both from the Victory website, with different spines suggested on each.

This is the first…from the VXT page. It suggests I’m between 450 and 355 with a 120gr point, or a straight 355 with a 150gr point.

https://www.victoryarchery.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/VXT-Recurve-Chart-1-e1564092775943.png

VXT-Recurve-Chart-1-e1564092775943.jpg

This is the second…also from the Victory website. It suggests I’m on the edge between 600 and 550 with a 120gr point, or between 550 and 500 with a 150gr point.

https://www.victoryarchery.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/VXT-spine_cut-chart-web-02.png

VXT-spine_cut-chart-web-02.jpg

Thanks for reading, and any suggestions welcomed…

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Nope, that requires a trip to a retailer to sort out. Then it's their problem if they get it wrong!

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Honestly, with that info coming out I would buy from a different manufacturer than can produce reliable info, and that doesn't have to be Easton....

Whitehart

I am going to be rude here but in my experience most "all carbon" shaft manufacturers do not really understand the effects of recurve archery (finger release) on their shafts, most only have reliable data for compounds where all the influences on the spine are more constant.

pwjones66

The cutting chart is easy enough to follow. Cut from the weaker back end to stiffen the spine, or cut from the front to weaken the overall spine...

It doesn't explain the wild discrepancy between the two charts though.

I emailed Victory last week to ask. I got a reply, saying the correct spine for my setup is 355, but no explanation of why the other chart suggests 600 to 550.

I do like the cutting chart though. In theory, it allows to tailor the spine more closely to your setup.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
My guess is they have reused the name for a new shaft but there's old charts for the old style shaft still floating around.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Which actual bricks and mortar shops sell them? Different manufacturers test spine differently so numbers are not always comparable, however, if these are what you want, an appointment with the right people is the best idea.

pwjones66

My guess is they have reused the name for a new shaft but there's old charts for the old style shaft still floating around.
Yep. I can go with that.

Deleting dead webpages is probably on the to-do list...

The question is, whether I dare take the risk on shafts that spine 150 points stiffer than what I'd ordinarily use.

Interestingly, the charts for Easton FMJs suggest closer to the 355 quoted by Victory for the VXTs for my draw weight & length than the charts for target arrows suggest...which is around the 500 mark.

Maybe the stiff spine suggestion a hunting arrow thing.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I emailed Victory last week to ask. I got a reply, saying the correct spine for my setup is 355, but no explanation of why the other chart suggests 600 to 550.
Wow, that does sound stiff. I wonder how the weaker back end is factoring in.
I do like the cutting chart though. In theory, it allows to tailor the spine more closely to your setup.
I think there needs to be some care here. For most arrows, including ACEs cutting from the front will dynamically stiffen an arrow. All though Victory state cutting from the front will weaken an arrow I suspect dymamic response will still be stiffer.