Could I overstrain ILF limbs on 17inch riser ?

Ned

As I am currently recovering from an elbow injury, I would like to fit some lightweight limbs onto my Samick Discovery 17inch ILF riser ( I usually shoot Discovery limbs which are rated 35# on the Discovery riser ). In am thinking of fitting some cheap Winners Explore ILF long limbs which are rated 16# on a standard 25inch riser. This would give me a 62inch bow which I calculate would rate around 24# on the 17inch riser. As this is a 50% increase in the load, would this overstrain the limbs (my draw length is about 27") ? Advice would be appreciated.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I do exactly the same. I have a 19" riser that I normally shoot with about 36lb limbs but I have a cheap pair of light limbs (SF I think) that I use when recovering from injury. They end up weighing in the low 20s too.

They have never given me a problem. I'm not saying that it's a bullet proof setup but there's been no sign of failure so far.

Last edited:

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I checked; they are a pair of long 14lb Samick limbs.

My draw length is 30".

D

Deleted member 7654

Just my opinion...
Not a snowball in hell's chance of overstressing anything made of modern materials at that draw weight/draw length.
That's the problem with percentages... 50% increase!! Yeah but it's just a few pounds on limbs that could probably be overdrawn to 32" without damage, as they doubtless have a large safety margin designed in.
It's not as if you are taking a 60# wooden bow and pulling it to 90#.
Del

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Flight archers often use a similar set up so there doesnt seem to be any practical issues to contend with. Ultimately it is down to how many cycles you put the bow through as everything will have fatigue failure eventually. So, 40k arrows loosed? 3 million?. You can calculate the number but that wont be a promise, just an average.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Flight archers often use a similar set up so there doesnt seem to be any practical issues to contend with. Ultimately it is down to how many cycles you put the bow through as everything will have fatigue failure eventually. So, 40k arrows loosed? 3 million?. You can calculate the number but that wont be a promise, just an average.
Err flight bows regularly blow up. Don't compare anything flight archers do with "normal" archery. I shoot flight with a 5 strand string that lasts 30 shots tops and a 170gn arrow with an overdraw and I expect to be pushing the limits.
However, I reckon at 27" a set of longs on a 17" riser should be fine.