Covert Hunter and wooden arrows

A16KSB

Hi All.
I'm in the process of ordering a Covert Hunter 50lbs @ 28inches with Hex 7 limbs. I shoot split finger, wooden arrows, and use a Cavalier Free Flyte Micro rest on my current bow, also 50lbs @28inches

As a test, I shot Goldtip Traditional 400 spine 125gn bareshaft and produce good groupings (with 4 inch fletched arrows) at 30 metres with my current bow

For the CH my thinking is to have the choice of shooting off the shelf or with an elevated rest, e.g the same as above.

I have a few of questions
Does anybody shoot a CH with wooden arrows?
If so do you do bareshaft tuning?
what would be a good static spine to start with, for the CH with the specs above?

Thanks in advance

Keith

D

Deleted member 7654

Field shooting?
I'd suggest 50-55 cedar shafts, you'll maybe need to go up or down one step from there. It's down to personal feel, and how you loose, I built a target bow for a guy, I felt it was good with 35-40 5/16", he used 50-55 11/32" !
Just my guess as I only shoot wooden bows.
Del

A16KSB

Thanks Del.
What was the poundage of his bow, and out of interest what type of bow do you build?

Keith

D

Deleted member 7654

It was 35# at 29" here it is:-
Bowyer's Diary: Virtually Finished
The guy loved the bow, but said it didn't meet the BLBS definition of English Longbow so he returned it. It was then sold to a lady archer who unfortunately let some idiot string it for her... he didn't recognise the reflex and smashed it by trying to string it backwards :(.
I mostly make self bows or backed bows, longbows, primitives, warbows.
This year I've done all sorts from my latest Mollegabet 45# flight bow that shot 283yards
Bowyer's Diary: Reworked Molle' Flight Shot.
to a Hazel Warbow.
Bowyer's Diary: Hazel Warbow Full Draw
Everything I make is on my blog.
Del

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
The CH is a unique animal - spines are often way off the usual. I would recommend chatting directly with Border for their experience in this.

A16KSB

Thanks for your comment.
I know they are busy, and owe them a call to finalise options. I hope they and other CH archers see this and possibly reply via the forum.
All the archers I've seen online with the CH, use carbon arrows, guess it is unusual to use woodies?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
It's a mix, I'd guess, I was shooting with a guy with a CH and woodies but I have no idea of his poundage, dl or spine, sorry!

Berny

It's a mix, I'd guess, I was shooting with a guy with a CH and woodies but I have no idea of his poundage, dl or spine, sorry!
i've not seen many/any shooting with woods ....maybe Roger Hands at this years Border Bowfest ....he won HT class didn't he?
Assume this was his custom CH & woods ....will ask him

A16KSB

Hmmm......maybe I will have to reconsider what class I want to shoot in, however if you could ask I'd appreciate it.

Andrewlaw22

Hi

I asked Sid senior this and his reply is the recommendation is the spine should be at least 20lb heavier which for my 56lb CH means I'd be looking at a 80-90 of equivalent spine. The problem is this is not readily available in the UK and there is a American supplier 'surewood' which produces arrows for this spine level.

Berny

i've not seen many/any shooting with woods ....maybe Roger Hands at this years Border Bowfest ....he won HT class didn't he?
Assume this was his custom CH & woods ....will ask him
Saw Sid today & asked him about Roger - turns out he wasn't shooting his CH last weekend, rather BD with Hex 6.5 or somesuch.
Sid currently shooting circa #58 CH, says 85-90 spine woods (although was shooting carbons today)
& as pointed in earlier post, difficult to get that spine in wood in the UK - I tried #90 in tonkin boo for a while but think they're all broke now.

A16KSB

Thanks Berny.
I've bought from Surewood recently, so will contact them when ready, as a note Bearpaw also sells shafts at that spine as well

A16KSB

Thanks everyone.
I just have to wait up to 10 weeks for the new bow in order to test it out, really excited. I will update you with my findings

RMH

Woodies

Hi
As commented, I did not shoot the CH at this years Bowfest but my new ILF BD with Hex 6.5's. My CH was 44lb @ 28inch and I only ever shot woodies from it. I went from light to heavy shafts and tried from 45/50 all the way up to 65/70 with every conceivable combination of pile weight and fletch length! I ended up with Sitka shafts from the States, 11/32 rear tapered 60/65lb spine, 4inch fletchings and 80g piles with an all up weight of 420g. I have a couple of friends who shoot the CH and one things for sure you will need to try a few combinations if you intend to shoot woodies. You will end up with a match for the bow though and your style/release etc. As for bare shaft tuning, personally I have never had success with this and all attempts ended up with the shaft hitting the boss at 45* and snapping in two! and that was with shafts all the way up to 70lb spine!
Its a great bow and you will have acres of fun with it, go for the woodies!

A16KSB

Hi
As commented, I did not shoot the CH at this years Bowfest but my new ILF BD with Hex 6.5's. My CH was 44lb @ 28inch and I only ever shot woodies from it. I went from light to heavy shafts and tried from 45/50 all the way up to 65/70 with every conceivable combination of pile weight and fletch length! I ended up with Sitka shafts from the States, 11/32 rear tapered 60/65lb spine, 4inch fletchings and 80g piles with an all up weight of 420g. I have a couple of friends who shoot the CH and one things for sure you will need to try a few combinations if you intend to shoot woodies. You will end up with a match for the bow though and your style/release etc. As for bare shaft tuning, personally I have never had success with this and all attempts ended up with the shaft hitting the boss at 45* and snapping in two! and that was with shafts all the way up to 70lb spine!
Its a great bow and you will have acres of fun with it, go for the woodies!
Hi
Thank you for the info.
Still waiting for the bow, but have been shooting a 50lb Win & WinRCX-17 in the mean time. I have experimented with bareshafts and the best results come from 81 - 85lbs, they actually form a good group with fletched arrows at 20 yards. If my release is spot on they will always fly straight, otherwise they hit the boss at an angle and or snap, just as you've mentioned

A16KSB

Just got 85-90lb spine 11/32 spruce shafts from Bearpaw for my 56lb CH- and absolutely lovin' it.
That's great news. I recently got my bow , but have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my bow hand so unable to shoot :-(.
Do you shoot off the shelf or use a rest, if so what button /rest do you use and what weight point do you use?
Have you managed to weight the shafts, as it would be interesting to know how well they are matched

Andrewlaw22

That's great news. I recently got my bow , but have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my bow hand so unable to shoot :-(.
Do you shoot off the shelf or use a rest, if so what button /rest do you use and what weight point do you use?
Have you managed to weight the shafts, as it would be interesting to know how well they are matched
I shoot off a elevated rest without a button/ plunger which I find gives a more forgiving flight than off the shelf. I can use vanes- better for wet UK weather. A shubuya rest stuck directly onto the riser puts my 11/32 arrow onto Centershot.

The shafts are weight and spine matched to around +/- 15 grains average 615g with 100g point

A16KSB

I shoot off a elevated rest without a button/ plunger which I find gives a more forgiving flight than off the shelf. I can use vanes- better for wet UK weather. A shubuya rest stuck directly onto the riser puts my 11/32 arrow onto Centershot.

The shafts are weight and spine matched to around +/- 15 grains average 615g with 100g point
Interesting... what type of elevated rest is it?, as that is the route I'd prefer to take