Crusty gnas dress code - bottoms

Your thoughts on gnas trousers/ skirts

• Male Non-GNAS member - Your dress code rocks!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Female Non-GNAS member - your dress code is an international joke.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Random_guy

Hi Rik, you're right about the screen thing. I think my trousers are a touch darker than that particular shade, but that was the closest i could get via my screen and it still illustrated my point. A good (and funny point) that Dave Spinner made while the judge in question was speaking at assembly was 'so which of the 4 shades of green that he's wearing IS the right shade?!' I appreciate that it's difficult to judge, but tbh, unless it's blatently not within the regulations they should let it slide. As it is i shall be taking my pair of extrememly thin, baggy white trousers with me to skye and the penicuik premier event, and if my greens are questioned again i shall put the whites over the top of them. My green's will be clearly visable underneath, i'll look like a muddy chav from a council estate after a few ends and just about as un-uniform and neat as it's possible to get BUT i'll be complying with the dress regs.

Let them put THAT in their gnas green pipe and not smoke it because that's banned in the area of competition... :raspberry

smudgepuss

I got sick of my whites so i dyed them. Using Dylon's "dark green" machine dye. They can't ever have a problem with that, can they?!

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I've had some positive feedback from a member of the GNAS Executive who thanked me for the email and voiced a sympathetic stance to the plight of dress code and said that they were keen to find a solution. There was no indication of what, or when, so speculation is pointless, but I will offer assistance and see what happens.

The message is getting through folks... but meantime we'll just have to continue to try our best to adhere to the current rules.

Fingers crossed!

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
In some ways, it isn't the dress code which is a problem. Okay, I dislike it, not the colours particularly, but the concept of 'no you can't shoot in that'. But the issue in this latest instance isn't the dress code per se, but it's application.

Maybe the GNAS judging hierarchy should do what the FITA one does and stick pins in it's members on a regular basis <prod> 'you're only there to enable people to shoot' <prod> 'always give the benefit of the doubt' <prod> 'go with the spirit of the rules' <prod>...

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
Murray said:
I've had some positive feedback from a member of the GNAS Executive who thanked me for the email and voiced a sympathetic stance to the plight of dress code and said that they were keen to find a solution. There was no indication of what, or when, so speculation is pointless, but I will offer assistance and see what happens.

The message is getting through folks... but meantime we'll just have to continue to try our best to adhere to the current rules.

Fingers crossed!
Murray, I wondered if you'd heard anything else from GNAS??

What really grates me is that recently I've seen 'Pro' shooters turn up in their sponsors top and no judge batters an eye lid! I don't have an issue with them wearing the clothes just the non-uniformity of judges applying the rules. At one shoot inclement weather was declared (the sun was splitting the flags!!!), I'm sure just to get around the issue.

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
The judge declared inclemant weather at Ebor on Sunday as it was so hot - this was partly due to one archer having a long sleeved rugby shirt under his white top due to too much sun the day before! The shirt was mostly white with some red on it but the archer was worried about the colour! It is nice to see that judges do consider the archers and that the rules are at their discretion :beer:

SVL

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
clickerati said:
If you're good enough to shoot at the international level, wear white, but make the dress code more user friendly for us "little" people! It's not just the juniors it puts off.

When I started archery in Ireland (>10 years ago and metric rounds only) you could wear what ever you liked (coloured or white) before you qualified to shoot a FITA round..... but you could only wear white if you where shooting the FITA round.

It never looked "tacky" and everybody wanted to be wearing the white.

New GNAS club colours are ok but I wish they lhad et us fix the trouser colour also or else set it to white.

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
Little Miss Purple said:
The judge declared inclemant weather at Ebor on Sunday as it was so hot - this was partly due to one archer having a long sleeved rugby shirt under his white top due to too much sun the day before! The shirt was mostly white with some red on it but the archer was worried about the colour! It is nice to see that judges do consider the archers and that the rules are at their discretion :beer:
Hmmmmm.

Tracey, the two situations I've seen were (in my opinion) done because the judges didn't want to have to go up against a sponsored/GB team/ well known archer.

One women had brown shorts on (before 'inclement weather was declared) and open toed sandals - though I accept these are no longer banned under 307

T

timujin

I don't know if it is helpful to this debate, but I recently raised a dress code query with Archery Australia, which, according to the rules has quite strict standards:

they shall be dressed in all white, club, RGB, National or other approved uniform, except where inclement weather conditions prevail when suitable protective clothing may be worn.

7.9.2 Women may wear dresses, skirts, slacks, or if permitted shorts, and long or short sleeved blouses or shirts. Gentlemen may wear long, or if permitted short trousers, and long or short sleeved shirts. Sweaters and cardigans may also be worn

7.9.3 Shoes or boots shall be worn at all times.
In answer to my query. I received the following from the Chairman of the Ruels committee:

No, there is no strict requirement to wear white trousers/shorts/skirts - if your club uniform does not specify what colour of trousers, etc constitute the uniform "bottoms."

White trousers are becoming increasingly difficult to purchase, and this was one reason the AA Natioinal Judges uniform was changed from white to fawn trousers/slacks/skirts/shorts. Some archers still wear white trousers (or even all white) but this is becoming increasingly rare sight these days.

As far as the uniform bottoms are concerned, it would not be a good idea to arrive at the event in baggy cargo trousers or shorts. Neat attire is considered acceptable - even at National Championships. In the southern states, the winter wear is generally track suit pants, jeans (neat) or dressy trousers - so long as the tops are either club, state, national uniform that's OK with the organising committees.

Second Question: In relation to cardigans, sweaters, coats etc what colours and styles are acceptable? If the weather is inclement (raining) is there a desired colour and style for protective rain wear?
A good question! In Victoria archers generally wear rugby tops or polo fleece pullovers or jackets, and even track suit jackets. Many polo fleece jackets now come with zip out sleeves, and these are considered acceptable. Colours generally are not really taken into account. As far as wet weather clothing is concerned, anything goes - from gortex to nylon or plastic. Any colour is acceptable for rain wear.

Third Question: What colour and style of shoes or boots are acceptable wear?
Generally, shoes or boots must have enclosed toe areas on the front. Sport shoes/runners are very popular and many archers wear sturdy hiking style boots in either gortex or leather. Sandals or thongs are not permitted, mainly for safety reasons............

..............I can assure you though, the Dress Regulations have been generally relaxed by many, many organising committees, even (as stated above) at national Championships. Jeans were once considered a big no no but, are now considered almost a fashion item for many people both young and old consequently, they have been allowed at events Australia wide. Organising committees generally make the statement "may be enforced" to cover themselves in case someone arrives looking dirty and untidy; which them gives them the option to deny the person entry to the tournament.

Personally, I believe if you wear your club polo shirts and neat tidy trousers and suitable shoes, there really shouldn't be a probem. Should the OC deny you entry, there is (or should be) the right of appeal to the Jury of Appeal."
So maybe you could pass this on to your GNAS for their consideration. If AA can be flexible (which would never have been the case, once), then surely GNAS can follow suit?

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
timujin said:
So maybe you could pass this on to your GNAS for their consideration. If AA can be flexible (which would never have been the case, once), then surely GNAS can follow suit?
Thanks for that.

How little you know of GNAS and youre assuming they can read!! Oh, and I don't think the word flexible is in their dictionary :)

SLOWHAND

And to think, I once thought of emigrating to Aus. Didn't go because a). they wouldn't have me, and b). they have no sense of maintaining standards in dress codes.

T

timujin

It may surprise you to learn that many of our "officials" and "bureaucrats" inherited the stiffest and most prissy of standards from their English ancestors, no doubt as a result of their being ancestors of the supervisory class of Brits who used to "look after" the rest of us common convicts.

"Colonel Blimp" never died in England. He emigrated to Australia and has been living here in the greatest of health ever since.

When I received the above communication from AA the earthquake could be felt even up here. GNAS bends in the wind by comparison.:boxedin: :bang:

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
timujin said:
It may surprise you to learn that many of our "officials" and "bureaucrats" inherited the stiffest and most prissy of standards from their English ancestors, no doubt as a result of their being ancestors of the supervisory class of Brits who used to "look after" the rest of us common convicts.

"Colonel Blimp" never died in England. He emigrated to Australia and has been living here in the greatest of health ever since.

When I received the above communication from AA the earthquake could be felt even up here. GNAS bends in the wind by comparison.:boxedin: :bang:
:) :) :) :) :)

D

Deleted member 74

White trousers are becoming increasingly difficult to purchase, and this was one reason the AA Natioinal Judges uniform was changed from white to fawn trousers/slacks/skirts/shorts. Some archers still wear white trousers (or even all white) but this is becoming increasingly rare sight these days.
Tell me about it! I was about the only one on the shooting line at the Australian National Championships in 2003 wearing all white. The flexibility of those rules was enjoyable to say the least. Nobody abused the relaxed dress code and we were all a lot more comfortable as a result!

MrFish

Occured to me recently (because I just started wearing one) that most martial arts uniforms are white. Karate Gi anyone?