Cycling With A Compound Bow

MikeD

I've seen threads about backpacks to carry recurves, but I'd like to know if anyone has a solution for carrying a compound bow on a pushbike.

I've been looking at trailers on-line, but they all seem to be too short.

Does anyone go to shoot on a pushbike?

jet186

I've seen threads about backpacks to carry recurves, but I'd like to know if anyone has a solution for carrying a compound bow on a pushbike.

I've been looking at trailers on-line, but they all seem to be too short.

Does anyone go to shoot on a pushbike?
Striker soft compound cases have 2 shoulder straps to enable you to carry on your back, whether I'de carry it on a bike is another matter.
Regards

John

wingate_52

I think you have a problem. Look at pull along trailers. Google "Bob cycle trailer". Keep the weight low and off your bike.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I know an archer who had a soft compound bowbag modified at a sail makers.
They had the necessary sewing machines to get through the tough fabric. The bag and contents was then slung like a rucksack.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi John,
I did read your post but I was on a slightly different tack with having a bag modified rather than buying one already made. I was thinking along the lines of, knowing the current bag will hold everything.

phil_r_58

Supporter
Supporter
Ironman
It's a compound, you don't need a bike, just bolt on the pedal kit to the wheels.

Seriously. you should be able to find a way of modifying a trailer, or using a rear cycle rack, but modifying it so the compound bag straps on like a pannier, down the side of the back wheel maybe. The sort of thing that Geoff_retired could knock up with a bit of old tube and a welder.

Maybe OB could machine something up like that. A compound bag that would fit a rear cycle carrier?

Ceri Jones

Ironman
It's a compound, you don't need a bike, just bolt on the pedal kit to the wheels.
When i saw the title its the first thing I thought.

I tried the whole compound bag on a bike thing and it didnt work as its such a strange shape to try and cater for, the only solution i cam eclose to was a saddle bag attachment and a lot of bunjee straps so it could be side mounted.

jet186

Hi John,
I did read your post but I was on a slightly different tack with having a bag modified rather than buying one already made. I was thinking along the lines of, knowing the current bag will hold everything.
Hi Geoff, I know you were, I was just messin with you.:burp:

phil_r_58

Supporter
Supporter
Ironman

I tried the whole compound bag on a bike thing and it didnt work as its such a strange shape to try and cater for, the only solution i cam eclose to was a saddle bag attachment and a lot of bunjee straps so it could be side mounted.
Would two compounds, one each side constitute a tricycle, and therefore become more stable in side winds ?

MikeD

I hadn't thought of that. It's a touring bike I have, with pannier rack and bags. I'll see if I can get the bow in one of the bags and then additional bungee cords to hold it in place, I can put the rest of my gear in the other pannier. I think that might just work :)

Thanks

Mike

MikeD

Well I'm in a similar situation and have gone for one of these;

Click to enlarge the image on ref no: 700780
Merlin Archery; Striker Compound Case

I ride a road bike and can't foresee that many problems riding with this - will let you know in a few days.
Thanks, i hadn't seen that bag. Please let me know how you get on. It is quite big for an Ultratec almost a foot longer than the bow. It's all going to depend on how high on your back the straps allow the bow to be. Too low and the bow will hit the back wheel.

Phijama

I ride a Giant OCR 0 compact road, the wheel base is quite close and I tend to cycle on the drops so I'm hoping it will be okay - will let you know!

EDIT: Just received the case - won't get chance to road test until tomorrow. It is large for the Ultratec but it is well padded in the corners to protect the cams.

This is the case I was originally after Merlin Archery; Aurora Dynamic Case Compound Midi but it is out of stock at the moment. I haven't seen the carry system but I'm reliably informed that it is similar. It is shorter than the Striker case.