Danage vs. layered form

ieuan_johns

Hi all.

We're needing some new bosses at the club and I'm wondering about what to get, we bought some layered foam bosses last year for the first time and they have held up pretty well, starting to get a few compounds burying deep into them now but should be OK for another year with a bit of TLC and we may be able to reposition the layers in them after that is we sort out a banding machine to put them back together again.

Anyway I was wondering about the cost effectiveness of these bosses against the Danage style bosses where you can replace just the centre. Obviously there are a much bigger outlay initially but I've no comparison as to the relative life of the centres to work out which would be better in the mid-term.

Does anyone have experience with both that could comment?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
We have used both. We have repaired layered foam ones, too. Ratchet straps are good for pulling them tight afterwards. Gives you time to work on fitting other simpler straps.
Danage do last longer, but they are more expensive as you say. Danage can be difficult to pull arrows from in wet weather.
At the moment, for my own use in the garage, I have a small layered foam boss behind a single block of foam. The single block is similar to Danage but quite cheap. With that in front, I get a nice smooth surface for the target face and the layered foam behind soaks up any shots that land close to a previous hole. With the layered foam alone, some of the damage pushes the whole thing out of shape and it is far weaker than it should be by then. The two bosses can be rotated independently of each other to prevent holes lining up. Two is greater than the sum of each part.

dave lpb

Hi all.

We're needing some new bosses at the club and I'm wondering about what to get, we bought some layered foam bosses last year for the first time and they have held up pretty well, starting to get a few compounds burying deep into them now but should be OK for another year with a bit of TLC and we may be able to reposition the layers in them after that is we sort out a banding machine to put them back together again.

Anyway I was wondering about the cost effectiveness of these bosses against the Danage style bosses where you can replace just the centre. Obviously there are a much bigger outlay initially but I've no comparison as to the relative life of the centres to work out which would be better in the mid-term.

Does anyone have experience with both that could comment?
Have your club considered trying ProBoss bosses? They make several different types of bosses from removable centres (which can be made to suit any target face position on the boss) to a Similar style to the Danage bosses, they are also light and fit onto a standard target stand. Their also not to bad price wise in the long run.

ieuan_johns

I sort of meant those as well when I said Danage style, just didn't know what they were called.

That said, not sure the centres would work for us as they would have to cover indoor use (two/four targets per boss) as well for half the year.

dave lpb

I sort of meant those as well when I said Danage style, just didn't know what they were called.

That said, not sure the centres would work for us as they would have to cover indoor use (two/four targets per boss) as well for half the year.
They do targets designed for indoor use with multiple replaceable cores. Here are three examples of multicore bosses they have on there website: View attachment 5980 View attachment 5981 View attachment 5982 but they can also do bosses with 'custom' core placement, some examples of these can be found on their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/proboss.archery?ref=ts&fref=ts

madasahat

Have a look at the eros bosses really easy to replace the foam core when it wears out i can do a boss in 5 min