Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Product information... View for more details

Foobs

4 out of 5 rating for Decut String Jig

Our clubs Decut string jig got delivered yesterday
I'll try and be as honest as I can with my review.

It didn't come with any instructions, so I had to spend a while going through the parts and working out what went where. The fact that I had to assemble the main bar got me thinking that this might be another cheap jig with no precision. On a plus point it came with a chunky allen key and a spanner.

It's big, both in length (the main assembled bar being 1730mm long not including the tension handle) and the three aluminium box sections are 50mm(W) x 25mm(H) x 585mm(L). Both ends are finished off with a plastic end cap. The sections are joined together by two cast aluminium parts with two threaded holes to take two steel bolts in each section (underneath). It's also very heavy, which isn't a bad thing as the feet also have end caps and this weight ensures that it doesn't slip when you wind on the string (even on the misses red 'n' white pocka dot vinyl table cover
).

String lengths can be made from 38" to approximately 71"/72" (actual string length not bow fit). There is not a fixed point on the jig to locate the arms, rather Decut have used a clamp (see pic below) for the end that doesn't apply tension. It would be better fit to the outside section of the leg to provide a 100% slip proof location (not that I could get it to move down the main section regardless of the amount of tension that was applied via the handle). From this location you could only go as short as 51.5", which is more than enough for the majority of bows, but if you required shorter lengths for junior beginner bows (i.e. 48"") then the clamp would have to be moved to the inside of the leg.

As you can see the adjustment knobs are substantial (approx. 80mm in diametre). They are made out of a hard, thick plastic with a metal threaded insert to take a steel bolt. The bar looks like it is cast aluminium and has a slight textured finish. Not shown in the picture are two washers - one larger in diametre and thicker sits under the bar and a smaller, thinner one between the bar and the knob.

The main section of the string poles are either completely solid aluminium or very thick walled. They are 20mm to 9mm to 5mm in diameter and the tops are milled aluminium or stainless steel for the top part. They sit in total 210mm tall and 241mm apart. Comparing them to other jigs; the part that the string goes around is fixed and I think it would have been a nicer finish to have them with a rolling collar, as per the A&F jig, as it makes moving the string a lot easier when doing the end servings - not a game changer though. Also there is no fixed point to tie the lose end of the string to, with the only option being a piece of tape. You could probably get around this by drilling a hole and tapping it.

The tension system uses a very large (120mm) disk attached to a threaded rod which runs inside the tubing. This disk is of the same construction as the bar adjusters and has a very nice 70mm foldable handle which makes that part of the adjustment a breeze. However, you can only adjust the tension if the bar knob is loosened which I think is an oversight and something that could have been done a lot better (unless I have interpreted the design incorrectly!). It means that you can put more turns of tension on the string, but this then makes the bar tilt. The only way to get around this is to put downward pressure on the handle end of the bar whilst tightening the knob. This could have easily been fixed by using a larger metal lower washer.

In conclusion, on the whole I think it is well worth the ?125ish it costs and could probably sell well for a little more. My initial impressions were, in the most, proved wrong and with a couple of minor points that could be resolved by Decut or by paying a visit to your local machine shop. So if you're looking for a sturdy jig to make more than the occasional string I would put this one on your list of ones to consider. It beats the Sherwood and Arten jigs by a mile and is on par, if not better than, the A&F jig. However, if you make one string a year, or plan on transporting it around a lot then you would probably be better getting the A&F jig.