Defective Longbow?

D

Deleted member 7654

Okay guys, update as in response from Adrian below:

Hello Sunny didn't you see this when you bought the bow..... this is not a new fault.
Options you have is carry on shooting the bow .... but the bow could break first time or I might never break.
The other option is I can do a belly splice for you at a cost of £100 + postage both ways.......
Regards Adrian

So not was I was hoping for but what I/we all expected realistically. The defect wasn't there when I bought it but the knot clearly was but I'm not going to argue the point with Adrian as he has no obligation to do anything.
Others more experienced than me will no doubt say a repair is probably a good solution but given my run of bad luck I don't want to throw good money after bad. So I'm on the market for a new bow, currently salivating over this one High Performance Longbow - 51lbs@26"-27" MAX | Black Arrow Longbows
I'm going to resist 2nd hand, go new, shoot regularly for a year and hopefully any defects will occur within the warranty! It may seem unfair but I'm going to avoid Gary Evans and Adrian Hayes bows as I'm a rank amateur and don't really have the time or money to have lots of goes of different bows so can only go on my personal experience thus far.
Thanks to everyone that contributed, that was really helpful!
A repair can be as good as or better than the original. I've done long lasting repairs, back and belly on warbows which are under huge stress.
My advice is to visit a bowyer or at least try before you buy... but then I've never bought a bow in my life!
I don't much like that idea that the bow you linked to is tillered to 26" (max 27")! when 28" is pretty much an accepted standard... also a boo backed bow should (IMO) be guaranteed to at least 28" no problem. I don't know who the bowyer is at Black Arrow Longbows and I have no knowledge of their bows.
I'd ask... Are you happy with this? :-
WARRANTY
All of our bows come with 1 years warranty against defects in manufacturing.

Our warranty is a sliding scale cover, and is on an ex-works basis. We supply bows all over the world and cannot cover the cost of carriage to and from the workshop as part of the warranty within the price that we charge for our bows.

If the bow has been used in the proper manner that we recommend and it should break/fail due to its manufacturing with it's warranty period we will replace it as follows.

0-6 months repair or replace free of charge.

6-9 months you will be charged 50% of what you originally paid.

9-12 months you will be charged 75% of what you originally paid.

Del
PS. Where abouts are you?

Last edited by a moderator:

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Okay guys, update as in response from Adrian below:

Hello Sunny didn't you see this when you bought the bow..... this is not a new fault.
Options you have is carry on shooting the bow .... but the bow could break first time or I might never break.
The other option is I can do a belly splice for you at a cost of £100 + postage both ways.......
Regards Adrian

So not was I was hoping for but what I/we all expected realistically. The defect wasn't there when I bought it but the knot clearly was but I'm not going to argue the point with Adrian as he has no obligation to do anything.
Others more experienced than me will no doubt say a repair is probably a good solution but given my run of bad luck I don't want to throw good money after bad. So I'm on the market for a new bow, currently salivating over this one High Performance Longbow - 51lbs@26"-27" MAX | Black Arrow Longbows
I'm going to resist 2nd hand, go new, shoot regularly for a year and hopefully any defects will occur within the warranty! It may seem unfair but I'm going to avoid Gary Evans and Adrian Hayes bows as I'm a rank amateur and don't really have the time or money to have lots of goes of different bows so can only go on my personal experience thus far.
Thanks to everyone that contributed, that was really helpful!
Personally, I would get the repair done for £100, then if you are not happy with it, sell the bow. Be honest that the repair has been done by the manufacturer and im sure you would make over the cost for it... .Or keep it as a spare.

Have you looked here for many many more options and proper warranties?

A repair can be as good as or better than the original. I've done long lasting repairs, back and belly on warbows which are under huge stress.
My advice is to visit a bowyer or at least try before you buy... but then I've never bought a bow in my life!
I don't much like that idea that the bow you linked to is tillered to 26" (max 27")! when 28" is pretty much an accepted standard... also a boo backed bow should (IMO) be guaranteed to at least 28" no problem. I don't know who the bowyer is at Black Arrow Longbows and I have no knowledge of their bows.
I'd ask... Are you happy with this? :-
WARRANTY
All of our bows come with 1 years warranty against defects in manufacturing.

Our warranty is a sliding scale cover, and is on an ex-works basis. We supply bows all over the world and cannot cover the cost of carriage to and from the workshop as part of the warranty within the price that we charge for our bows.

If the bow has been used in the proper manner that we recommend and it should break/fail due to its manufacturing with it's warranty period we will replace it as follows.

0-6 months repair or replace free of charge.

6-9 months you will be charged 50% of what you originally paid.

9-12 months you will be charged 75% of what you originally paid.

Del
PS. Where abouts are you?

Hi there,

I’m the bowyer at Black Arrow. Just came across this and thought I would put my 2 cents in.

Whilst a 28” draw length is somewhat of a standard I get an awful lot of customers with shorter draws. So I make bows at all different draw lengths and make the bows length to fit, this way people aren’t shooting bows that are massively over-long for their draw.

As for the warranty I offer, this is nothing new. Bickerstaffe, Heritage, Barebow all offer a sliding scale warranty. I’m always happy to help customers with any issues which generally are few and far between anyway.

Thanks,

BA

Adrian Hayes

Hello Sunny. I have read your last comment about avoiding myself and Gary.... what did you expect me to do, you bought the bow second and not knowing the history of how it was shot, strung and stored . I couldn't do anything for you and my offer to repair the bow at £100 was generous, it takes longer to strip a bow down and repair than it does to make a new one. Once a bow is passed onto another archer any guarantee is gone, and any bowyer on this planet will tell you this.
Good luck with your shooting.... Adrian