Devon Challenge

cliveanne

Ironman
I have just heard about a shoot called "The Devon Challenge". Sounds good to me but where,when & howmuch? It may be too late for this year (For me that is) but next year may not be out of the question. I have never shot field before other than a mock-up at our club.

Huffy

Hello Clive.

The Devon Challenge starts july 29th though to august 6th
Its is 8 days of field shoots, 2 day shoots at 4 different venues and details are on the Nfas shoots dates page,

http://www.nfas.net/shootdates.asp

I have not done this but others members of my club have, their view is its good fun but very hard going.the shooting grounds are very different from the flatlands of east anglia.

Best wishes, Mark

cliveanne

Ironman
Huffy said:
Hello Clive.

The Devon Challenge starts july 29th though to august 6th
Its is 8 days of field shoots, 2 day shoots at 4 different venues and details are on the Nfas shoots dates page,

http://www.nfas.net/shootdates.asp

I have not done this but others members of my club have, their view is its good fun but very hard going.the shooting grounds are very different from the flatlands of east anglia.

Best wishes, Mark

Thanks Huffy.
I'll keep a lookout for nex year, I have bookings through those dates. next question, What I need to do now is to look for some arrows for the LB, I have been told to carry as many spares as possible. Sounds a vicious 8 days to me... any ideas? :D
PS Thanks for the link

Huffy

Hello,

I believe that the challenge is difficult, lots of steep slopes and tricky shots. I would suggest that you get some practise on field shoots in your area. Most Nfas shoots tend to be 3ds on unmarked distances.
I will ask about the number of arrows my club members took with them.

Best wishes ,Mark

cliveanne

Ironman
Sound advice. I have been told that I will need camping equipment. That should not be a problem. I believe there is a field shoot club not too far from where I live (Newhall, South Derbyshire), also, I have had my L-b made by Pip Bickerstaff, & he is easy to get in touch with.Thanks again.

Field Archer

I?ve already entered this year?s Devon Challenge, it will be my 5th time.

It consists of four two day shoots put on by four clubs. This year Ashcombe, near Exeter are putting on a 2 shot spot round and a big game round. Tavistock are putting on 2 3D rounds. Dunkery, near Minehead are putting on 2 mixed game rounds and Westcombe, near Taunton are putting on 2 3D rounds.

The cost is only ?35 for all eight days, you do get the Wednesday off.
There are classes for all shooting styles, AFB, Barebow, Bowhunter, Compound Limited, Compound Unlimited, Freestyle, HT and Longbow.

Because the shoots are now also in Cornwall and Somerset, this will be the last time it will be called the Devon Challenge, next year it will be known as the South West Challenge.