Dilemma. Any thoughts?

Pancake

any thoughts on this one.:mind-blow

i'm reaching the end of what has been my first full outdoor season and at the moment i'm shooting out of my skin.

i hit a fair few first class scores very early in the season but a few minor equipment and tuning problems have stopped me going further.
i've got these sorted out now (touch wood or anything else that'll stop them coming back) but unfortunaltely i've got a shoulder injury.
The injury is on my bow arm and is characteristic of either capsulitis, or a rotator cuff injury (old injury that has been on and off since i was a discuss thrower).
if its the old injury i can get it right in about a week or so (sooner if i get the frequency right on the machine). if its the other it could be longer (see neo's thread).

i'm easily getting the equivalent of bowman class scores presently as every thing is clicking into place nicely. and the only thing that's wrong is the shouder (weather permitting).

now for the dilemma. i've only got a few days to decide and i'm on holiday for the full time (so physio's not a problem).
Do I:-

a) get my bowman scores at the weekend :fight:(potential for county squad)
or
b) enjoy the rest of the season at my own pace:beer:, drop out of the competitions that i've entered into and get my bowman rankings at club nights.

its a funny one but i've not had any dealings with what the long term implications of my choices.
i've heard a fair bit about things that have stopped people from shooting, either full stop or put an end to shooting the bow that they would like to.

i want to stick with recurve and I shoot it as much indoor as outdoor (if it'll sway your thoughts at all)

thanks for any advice.:meditate:

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I've been dealing with shoulder injuries on both bow and drawing shoulders. Both are different injuries, but do come back from time to time (as is the case now). My bow shoulder has been dislocated and I had an impingement in the other. The advice I got in both instances was to lay off, let the shoulder heal, then come back slowly. I was warned that if I continued, I could do enough damage to stop my archery career.

If anyone here remembers Jammed, he had to quit archery because of a shoulder injury that he ignored and now can't even do compound, I'm told.

The choice is yours. I'd consult your physio and see what he/she says. Better to be safe than sorry with an injury.

Best of luck.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I'm with clicki on this one - speak to someone who knows and get an expert diagnosis/prognosis before you do yourself real harm. No-one here could make a judgement based on the information you've given, but "better safe than sorry" is a good approach IMO... it's only archery.

wingate_52

Rest and return. That is a certainty. Continue and you do not know what may happen. There is always next season when you have recovered and then the one after that. Save some goals for the future.

levelt

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Rest and repair. It's the only real option in the long run. I'm carrying the results of injuries from my 20's and wish I'd spent the time mending properly then.
And as Wingate says you need something to look forward to next year.

jerryRTD

Amother rest and repair here. I can use a 42lb recurve but after about six dozen arrows my elbows are very painful. That's why I shoot compound. you need to find a level that will not cause a reoccurance of injury.As you get older each flare up will take longer to get better.

NoobArcher

I'm another one for the rest and repair theory. Having a knee problem thats had me out of work for longer than I care to talk about and has really made an impact on every aspect of my life, I cannot recommend that you take it easy more strongly. Shoulders are fickle things, if its hurting, your body is trying to tell you something. Don;t ignore it and hope it will go away....do the sensible thing and rest.

slartibartfast

Yep another one for rest and repair.
I have been having problems with my shoulder and have had to drop out of the BTC and Norfolk so that I will be fit to shoot in Korea in October. I have also started shooting with a Fiberbow which has helped no end. I can now shoot without pain:) which means I can start building my practice time back up gently.

Pancake

dilemma over.

thanks for telling me what my brain couldn't accept.
I've retired from the competitions that i've entered and really think that should've known better, before i asked a self explanatory question.

anyway, i have carried on shooting to maintain mobilisation (a nice light longbow for half a session, i'ved joined the gardening club, and i'm no good with a rake), and after physio and short wave i've got shot of the pain in my back.
the front side tomorrow, then the proper work starts.

before i post a stupid thread, can anyone recommend one that already been done regarding recovery from a shoulder injury?

thanks

j.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
if you like, i can photocopy some of the exercise sheets my physio gave me and post them to you.

i'm glad you've decided to sort your shoulder out. you won't regret it.

avalon

I think that's a very good choice (I had almost 2 years off shooting after doing various nasty things to my shoulder in a car accident, so I can understand you might be feeling disappointed and frustrated for having to make that decision).

Anyway, I can't point you in the direction of relevant threads, but I was going to suggest a bit of gear that I used with my physio that was really useful... a gymstick (Gymstick - supplied in the UK by Sport Dimensions)

There are a few reasons i found it useful; simple bit of kit and you only need one thing for all your exercises... you can change the resistance as you need by winding the tubing around the bar...

Also, it shows any imbalance between shoulders when you're doing two-handed exercises and quickly highlights when you're tiring (something that can be easily masked with a lot of gym machines, where the stronger shoulder will just do more of the work). It can really help focus you on doing the exercise properly!!

You can buy them from various places, though they seem to range in price from ?30 to ?80, so it's worth looking around :)

Good luck with the rehab, and good shooting for the future!

Pancake

had most of the therapy its going well

would be very grateful for any and all exercises for the spinatus muscles. must post quick cos sites not liking my computer at present

NoobArcher

i would strongly advise against others sending you their physio exercises...while unlikely to hurt you, they might aggravate ur shoulder. Like all things medical, treatments are prescribed for you and are specific to you...not to anyone with any shoulder problem. The best thing to do is to seek advice of your own, keep it gently mobilised and listen to your body....if it hurts, stop. Physio is about rehabilitation, not doing something till it hurts...as soon as there is an ache, you don't go past that range of movement....try and hurry it, and you'll end up going 1 step forward and 10 back.