Disappointing bow

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Picked up some Mybo synergy Air limbs a while back at £69. They were 42lb practice limbs that I could shoot on my landing at only 66" pulling about 45lb. They were on and off my Mybo Elite riser. Just recently I picked up a Raven Prestige FX riser for £50. It meant I could use it for reversals without having to disrupt my indoor Mybo Elite setup.
Very disappointed :( :(
This setup cost me £130 as I also put a rest and button on it. It just doesn't shoot like a £130 setup. It's freaking awesome :) I mean, at 20yds with X23 arrows it sticks everything in the middle. The riser was second hand but is lovely, anodised and has a real wood grip. I normally shoot a Mybo Elite with Winex limbs indoors which cost me £445 with discounts. If I was to go to a comp tomorrow I would be hard pressed not to shoot the Raven/Air setup. It just shoots too good for the money.
Just goes to show there is some amazing stuff out there for not a lot of money.

Whitehart

Yes any bow well set up will shoot well - I remember that riser once you got past the grinding feel of all the screws threads they were very crude, it was OK, I guess being 2nd hand they had worn down and the button hole cleaned out with a tap :)

Whitehart

I thought that was a standard part of setting up a new riser :rolleyes:
It is with many cheaper risers, there is no excuse for more expensive risers - but it would amaze you how many try and do it with a button especially when the riser is an internet box drop.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Off the top of my head I've had to do it to Hoyt, Bernardini and Gillo.

I'd always assumed that it was because taper taps are used and there was an employee that sometimes didn't run the tap deep enough and I was unlucky enough to always get the dodgy one.

Last edited:

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I changed the tiller bolts o my Fiberbow Driz 6.9 for a pair of stainless steel ones. I was really worried about the 'rough feel' of the screw threads when I wound them in. Luckily I do not adjust them very often. Copper grease on the threads helps.

Last edited:

Steve1968

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I must be lucky then, I've never had to re-tap any threads on a riser. The threads on my current bow which is WNS Motive FX are spot on. I must add that for the money this is an excellent bow, riser is straight, limbs have no twist and tiller is approx 4-5mm straight out of the box.

Stretch

I’ve owned 18 Hoyt risers since 1991. The only time I had a problem with threads was an Economy TD4+ that had an industrial powder paint finish. Sight screws were totally gooed up with blue paint. Never had a problem with a rough or stiff thread apart from that bow (which was 1991). And in fairness once clean you could use the riser to put your tent pegs in and the paint didn’t mark.

Nothing has ever come close to the Titanium limb nuts on the Stylist Supreme though. Smoooth. Shame I preferred the original Stylist. Double shame that the limbs were held together with spit.

Stretch