Disaster struck

kennyp

Need some advice please. Was at the club's fun day shoot today with my daughter and while I was about to unstring her bow I caught it with my leg and knocked it over (was on bowstand at the time). The riser has sustained some quite deep scratches near the grip and near the top limb pocket. As she has only had it for about a month she was needless to say in floods of tears at her 'ruined bow'. It is a Samick Mizar in pink (actually is more of a graduated fade from red to pink). My dilemma is how do I repair the scratches trying to match the original paintwork?. Or do I go the whole hog and re-spray it a solid pink colour (which may be the better option for me and she is warming to have a 'custom colored bow now the tears have subsided). If I do decide on a full respray what would be the best way to prepare the riser surface?. Any help would be greatly appreciated as it would get me out of the doghouse

GoneBad

Have you asked one of those stone chip repair companies such as Chips Away or Car Scratch Doctor?
Failing that, buying her a pony might gain you some forgiveness.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Just thinking aloud. If the scratches at the limb pocket are in the fade to pink area, the new fade to pink might not need to match the original. Just do both ends with the new pink colour and fade it into the red, perhaps.
If the scratches at the grip are in the red, it might be possible to do a fade to pink with the new pink when covering that section. That may make the matching, less of a problem.
As for preparation, I can't help much with that. Some paints attack others, but not sure which do what.

Bald Eagle

Nail varnish will fix it!! Yor wife/daughter must have every shade of pink in their "drawers, one will match!

kennyp

Have you asked one of those stone chip repair companies such as Chips Away or Car Scratch Doctor?
Failing that, buying her a pony might gain you some forgiveness.
Gonebad, are you nuts? Have you seen how much those chip repair people charge? Buying a pony prob would be cheaper !!.

Believe it or not,Archery was my way of getting her off the subject of buying a bloody pony,so if I went down that route the chorus of 'I told you so' and 'if you'd have listened to me in the first place' would be unbearable.

chuffalump

I was going to suggest getting it powder coated but a new Mizar wouldn't cost much more. Still....if a custom color scheme will get you out of the dog house........

You could get pony decals for it.....

Definitely getting more expensive than a new riser now.

english_archer

Ironman
Ok quick guide to prepping a riser for paint
first take as much hardware as you feel confident you can remove from the riser mask of the rest with masking tape

you will now need sand paper ranging from about 80 grade down to around 320 grade plus some 500 grade

Using the 80 grade rub out the scratches working across the direction of the scratch,you will need to prep a reasonable area so it feels smooth as you rub you finger across it then work down the grades of paper to feather out the edges of your scratch repair.

Use the two smoothest grades of paper to rub the rest of the riser down until you have a matt surface over the entire riser

you will now need an aerosol etch primer and an aerosol surface primer

After you have dergreased the riser and cleaned all the dust of it apply a couple of light coats of etch leave about 10 minutes between coats

after that apply around 4 coats of surface primer same way you applied the etch now leave it overnight to dry

Take some 500 grade paper and lightly sand the surface of the primer to remove any imperfections try not to rub through to bare metal

Clean it all up again and apply aerosol topcoat colour of your choice nice light even coats will give you a better finish than plowing heavy coats on

after you have finished leave it to cure for a couple of days before handling.

The finish will not be as hard wearing as two pack but I refinished a riser for a guy around 4 years ago and that is still going strong.

Feel free to p.m. me with any questions

GoneBad

How about something like this as a compromise?

Custom paintjob on one of our club member's Stylist bow with metalic paint flecks.

kennyp

Thanks to everyone. Have actually gone down the nail varnish route and was actually quite surprised at the end result. Had to trawl through all the nail varnishes at Boots with the riser in hand to get a match (Did get quite a few strange looks!).Still got some really good matching colours and on the advice of an assistant (who actually got quite into suggesting colours for me) got a hardener clear topcoat to finish off. Took time over it with a tiny brush and hey presto as Eric Morecambe used to say'you can't see the join'.Back in daughter's good books now especially as she now has some new nail varnishes!. Things we parents do for our kids!