Discussion on form to reduce boredom?

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
If you heard the quiet “pep talks” I give myself to avoid worry, you might think I’m a bit mad. 🤪

Seems to work most of the time though.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Matt, a good friend of mine came to me for some archery help with her bow. As she shot for England in the past I asked if she would mind watching me shoot. After the first arrow, she said, "Why are you shooting like a beginner?"
I was about to explain that I have been having problems with............. Before I finished she stopped my abruptly and said. " That's your monkey brain talking,forget that!"
When we have problems. it is so easy to to believe that what we need is to stop doing the bad things. That doesn't work.
It's like the car owner saying, My windscreen leaks when it rains, can you help me?"
The answer... don't go out in the rain.
So it isn't about not worrying; it's about doing something else that is better, relaxing!! Don't relax because you have a problem with worrying. Relax because it is a great way to shoot. Make the relaxing something you DO for its own sake; not just as a cure for something worse.
It starts with two soft hands, one on the bow grip and one on the release aid. With a wrist strap you need the strap comfortable and fitting so the hand can relax, especially around the fingers. I used a long cord from the release aid to an elbow sling, so I could draw the bow by moving my elbow . The hand had little to do and had no restrictions put on it by a strap.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Hmmm; just discovered that a cam bolt is missing. There are two per cam. That probably isn’t helping much. And I’m certain one wouldn’t have fallen out? Because I’ve never adjusted the DL (it was set for me when I bought it) I’ve never looked at them before!
Getting one sorted ASAP.

jerryRTD

Hmmm; just discovered that a cam bolt is missing. There are two per cam. That probably isn’t helping much. And I’m certain one wouldn’t have fallen out? Because I’ve never adjusted the DL (it was set for me when I bought it) I’ve never looked at them before!
Getting one sorted ASAP.
You may well hve dodged the bullet on that one It all depends if the cam depends on the screws to hold its position or if you have some kind of detent that the cam drops intoand lock up ,leaving the screws to prevent the cam from coming out of the detent you should be OK. If the screws hold the cam in place then look over the cam position carefully.

Hawkmoon

When I used to shoot sighted I never used a clicker and this is what I put down to my faster ( than most sighted archers) shot cycle, I would normally be coming down from my third arrow while most or the line were nocking their second. The reason was that my shot cycle did not slow down for the clicker, it was a continuous draw that slowed as I reached full draw and settled before release but I didn't get to that last one or two mil of creep through the clicker, with bare bow I think I am now a little bit quicker but I try to take two breaths between shots, long bows seem to slow even less. With compounds there I see a big difference in that whereas the other three styles start to aim when they start to draw, compounds (at least look like) they draw and then aim as two separate operations, when a recurve come to anchor they are ready to shoot but the compound has to then start to aim.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
When I had TP I had no aim. I was almost as fast as longbow archers. heehee.
The shot process for a compound can be hampered a little by the fact that it is difficult to make that short first draw, that recurvers can make, as they raise the bow. They can settle the bow arm while they are already in line, and complete the last 3/4 of the draw. The compounder doesn't get a nice part in the draw until they are close to full draw, so they might position the bow arm so that it settles on the gold as they complete the let off stage.
I can start my draw well out of line, but know that things will settle into line as the draw reaches completion. The arrow points well off to the left at the start , but lines up at full draw with little movement of the bow arm.
Compounders with peep sights need to settle that aspect ,too so that all takes time.

Draven

I think the idea to match the speed of execution for the three type of bows is not possible - unless you shoot an Oneida instead normal compound. Each type of bow comes with a rhythm and tempo inside the shot sequence - something nobody talks about. There are things that can be altered inside a shot sequence to make it work "almost" as quick, but will be just "close but not cigar".

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I think the idea to match the speed of execution for the three type of bows is not possible - unless you shoot an Oneida instead normal compound. Each type of bow comes with a rhythm and tempo inside the shot sequence - something nobody talks about. There are things that can be altered inside a shot sequence to make it work "almost" as quick, but will be just "close but not cigar".
I think you are correct. I would say that a recurve bow and no sights could be shot as fast as a longbow. I can't see why not as far as the bows are concerned. However the recurve archer who shoots as fast as the typical longbow archer, will be rushing for no reason and losing points

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I think you are correct. I would say that a recurve bow and no sights could be shot as fast as a longbow. I can't see why not as far as the bows are concerned. However the recurve archer who shoots as fast as the typical longbow archer, will be rushing for no reason and losing points
Interesting. What would you say are the element in a shot that slow the shot process down? I was watching the Korean women and they are not slow. I think you can disregard compound as for this discipline it's usually a case of waiting of the earth to come into alignment with the scope and half ton of stab weights :)

Last edited:

Draven

What would you say are the element in a shot that slow the shot process down? :)
Even if the question is not for me, I will say that aiming method is the one that dictates the speed. I can shoot fast with both longbow and recurve if I know from the beginning where the arrow should be in relation with the target in peripheral vision at a specific distance with a very decent degree of accuracy. The moment I change the aiming method from lets say "split vision" with longbow to "pic a point" with recurve my mindset is different and this will alter the speed of execution. Put a sight on the recurve and your speed will slow down even more because the sight is fighting against your natural tendency of pointing the finger to the target which is the base an archer is building on while he is learning to aim the arrow.
This internal fight is the reason for TP in the sighted archery in my opinion. The good Coach is always telling you to look at the target and let the sight float (the sight becomes your new pointing finger) while the proximity of it makes you focus on the sight itself naturally. If you fail to understand this, you are on your way on the TP path.

Last edited:

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Even if the question is not for me, I will say that aiming method is the one that dictates the speed. I can shoot fast with both longbow and recurve if I know from the beginning where the arrow should be in relation with the target in peripheral vision at a specific distance with a very decent degree of accuracy. The moment I change the aiming method from lets say "split vision" with longbow to "pic a point" with recurve my mindset is different and this will alter the speed of execution. Put a sight on the recurve and your speed will slow down even more because the sight is fighting against your natural tendency of pointing the finger to the target which is the base an archer is building on while he is learning to aim the arrow.
This internal fight is the reason for TP in the sighted archery in my opinion. The good Coach is always telling you to look at the target and let the sight float (the sight becomes your new pointing finger) while the proximity of it makes you focus on the sight itself naturally. If you fail to understand this, you are on your way on the TP path.
We’ve just bought a decent new air rifle with scope and it’s interesting comparing a sighted compound bow to a gun.
That lack of anticipation of that “bang” of energy definitely helps (it’s PCP so no recoil) but it’s still a factor.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Shots slow down quite often, if the sight is given too much emphasis by an archer who is struggling to hold it still.
Another element can be the clicker when it is dominating the draw adding stress to the last few mm.
Windy conditions can cause some to speed up, but many will slow down as they struggle to hold strongly.