Do String Grooves Matter?

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have just discovered that on my very expensive recurve limbs (I won't mention a name). The string grooves are cut not in the centre of each limb! I only noticed this when setting up my bow today in a quiet room. When drawing and slowly releasing the string I noticed a 'click' as the string was lowered. I tracked it down to the string snapping back into the string groove. Using a digital vernier caliper I established a difference of <> 2 mm between the two sides to the centre of the string groove. The limbs are correctly aligned. I have contacted the supplier and await their reply. So it appears the expensive limbs can be as faulty as lower cost ones.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I used to get exactly the same 'click' but mine was because the limbs were out of alignment on the riser. When I fixed that then the string sat in the grooves properly and the click went away. I couldn't get the alignment right until I threw the Beiter gauges away and got some tuning forks.

Sounds like you're confident that that's not your problem though.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If you move the string from its off centre position back into the string grooves, slowly, do you notice that the loop that goes round the limb, is moving around the outside of the limb tip, in a rubbing action? It will be small but might be wearing away the serving or the notches?

Stretch

Unless you have a really freaky set of circumstances that causes the off centre groove to be in the correct alignment from tip to limb butt the answer is it definitely matters. And even if the freaky set of circumstances does match I’d say it still matters as it shouldn’t be like that.

In budget gear you have to accept a bit more leeway on where the acceptability point is on QC. On high end, not so much when it is easily demonstrate.

2p

Stretch

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thanks for the replies. @dvd8n. I actually measured the distances from the edge of the limbs to the centreline of the groove and found the differences. The limbs are setup correctly. I can actually see a variation in distances on each side of the string groove. @geoffretired. Unfortunately I cannot do that exercise on my own geoff.

I am really disappointed with this result. I thought (I know I know) that spending over £500.00 on limbs would give me quality of manufacture. I purchased this brand because of the glowing reports from other users.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
. @geoffretired. Unfortunately I cannot do that exercise on my own geoff.
Could you try it with the limb in one hand and the string just looped round the correct position? ( no need to string the bow)

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I contacted the supplier. They were very sympathetic and said to return the limbs to them to investigate. Today I am going to carry out some alignment tests to see if there is any distortion/twisting in these limbs as well. I remembered that initially I had difficulty getting them to align using Beiter gauges.

Edit: I took a couple of photos of the limbs and string groove. The supplier (very helpful by the way) has forwarded them to the manufacturer. I await their comments. But I cannot praise the supplier highly enough.

Last edited: