Does this eBay auction look suspicious?

Jumile

Ironman
Hi all,

While searching eBay UK for a bow case, I came across what appears to be a suspicious auction. I'm not accusing the seller of anything (of course), but this is just in case someone around Fife has recently "mislaid" some kit.

Is it just me, or is something not quite right about the auction? Apart from the fact the ad is ALL IN CAPITALS, if someone were in possession of that particular collection of kit I'd expect them to not string it backwards when trying to sell it to the archery community.

Of course it's possible dear young Jimmy is selling an inheritance from his recently-deceased barebow-shooting grandfather and doesn't know his limb pocket from his eye socket...

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
It does look suspicious but he uses workds like tab which some one who had half inched it would not use. I think He may have found it in his loft or been given it. But the fact he is willing to deliver in person? Dont think someone who had stolen it would be stupid enough. Tricky one that. Some people do sting bows like that to keep the string taught. Rarely done but I have seen this

Ceri Jones

Ironman
Hmmmm, why not post it? hed get more sellers that way as well. Something may not be quite right here.
Ive seen clubs use that method of storage for there bows & strings.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Looks like a reseller. He's probably got it out of someone's attic...

Thunk

Ironman
If it was stolen or suspicious in any other way, I don't think he would have such a good feedback rating. He's probably a house clearance type.

Kae

The American
American Shoot
Sounds like that to me as well Thunk, especilly considering the other junk he's selling.

Kae.

cestria

Fonz Awardee
My better half always seems to type in uppercase, a habit she has from work. Drives me round the bend.

Albedo

Hmmm, actually this one seems more suspicious to me:

Item number: 320080352134

New seller with zero feedback, incorrectly identifies the bow as right handed, doesn't know what a riser is, and from the decription: 'spiga personal finger tabs which are Arco sport'. All this for a high end bit of kit.

Suppose it could well be an authentic sale from somebody with a poor knowledge of english (and archery?), but just thought I'd post this in case somebody recognises the kit.

Angry Gaz

The American
Ironman
American Shoot

New seller with zero feedback, incorrectly identifies the bow as right handed, doesn't know what a riser is, and from the decription: 'spiga personal finger tabs which are Arco sport'. All this for a high end bit of kit.

Suppose it could well be an authentic sale from somebody with a poor knowledge of english (and archery?), but just thought I'd post this in case somebody recognises the kit.
If this kit isn't stolen, i'll show my :censored: on the town hall steps!!!
Everything about it is wrong. It's a left handed bow not a right-handed, the description of the kit doesn't sound like is been written by an archer.

Stay well clear unless you can guarantee it's genuine!!!

bruno

I have just asked the seller if he is sure it is right handed.
It will be interesting to see his reply!

MrM

I asked how old the kit was, and they said fairly new, bow 3 years old...

Does anyone recognise the model of riser, and does that fit in with the age?

Ceri Jones

Ironman

3years more like 3decades.

Id say that bow is at least 10-20 years old. looking at the pics closely the laminate has turned yellow and searching the net i havnt been able to find that type of sight anywhere so id say the sight type is about the same age. the newer 1 piece bows had a sight that ran along the riser or had the screw holes for a sight.

But the arrows then look newish, and the holder looks like the type clubs keep their begginer arrows stored in.

Didnt realise there was a second one. teach me to read the posts thru properly.:ashamed:

Selling for an Ex BF. hmmmmmmmm, wonder if he knows.:sour:

Last edited:

JohnK

If you're talking about the second one, it's a Hoyt Avalon plus, and the platinum finish I believe was a colour from the 2001-02 period. The limbs are from a similar period, judging by the livery.

If you mean the first one, no idea. :)

bruno

Sorry,must be me.I posted about the reply I had from the seller of the take-down recurve and it seemed to have vanished.
I must have pushed the wrong button.