dovetails

tel

Fonz Awardee
Hi all!
I had a disturbing new experience last night! Whilst shooting I got a vibration noise and checking the normal culprits ( sight screw, long rod/vbar etc.) could find nothing wrong, so carried on. After several more shots and several more fruitless checks I discovered the problem - the dovetail on the limb mounting had become loose to the extent that the allen screw on the front of the limb could be turned freely by hand! Now this has never happened before, so the question(s) is/are : Is it something that could be expected from time to time (I've been using these particular limbs a couple of months)? Or is it a more serious problem and a sign of impending limb failure?
Any answers appreciated - I'm supposed to have my first FITA tournament this weekend, and I'd be happier in the knowledge that limb and riser weren't going to part company at any minute!
Regards
Tel

joetapley

This seems to be a fairly common experience with Hoyt limbs. Not really a problem unless the bits fall off and you loose them. Have spent time grovelling about in the grass on a few occasions looking for the spring etc when this happened to Hoyt limb users (I use Samicks :) ). Just have to check they are tight on a regular basis.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
tel - 7/9/2005 6:55 AM Hi all! I had a disturbing new experience last night! Whilst shooting I got a vibration noise and checking the normal culprits ( sight screw, long rod/vbar etc.) could find nothing wrong, so carried on. After several more shots and several more fruitless checks I discovered the problem - the dovetail on the limb mounting had become loose to the extent that the allen screw on the front of the limb could be turned freely by hand! Now this has never happened before, so the question(s) is/are : Is it something that could be expected from time to time (I've been using these particular limbs a couple of months)? Or is it a more serious problem and a sign of impending limb failure? Any answers appreciated - I'm supposed to have my first FITA tournament this weekend, and I'd be happier in the knowledge that limb and riser weren't going to part company at any minute! Regards Tel
</p>

A few weeks ago I had my lower limb screw pop out on my Hoyt G3s and lost the bearing and spring (I hadn't cut the grass for a couple of weeks!!!). So it's worth checking every time you shoot.</p>

cliveanne

Ironman
Hi tel.</p>

This has also been a problem with me in the past, Hoyt limbs. I was lucky, the bow "exploded" at full draw. Lesson learned CHECK,CHECK,CHECK.I changed to Merlin Carbon much later, & found the dovetail was much slimmer & was also prone to slippage (this on the Hoyt GM) the?fitting for the limb had worn somewhat, making the bow unsafe to use (In my book). It seems to me that "Universal" fitting is not so universal after all. Things fit where they touch.</p>

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Looks like there's a good reason for the screws popping out of Hoyt limbs - they can charge ?12.50 for a kit to replace any bits that go missing!!! :(

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
?12.50??? Ouch! :( I've used Loctite on the threads of mine to make sure they don't come loose. Loctite will stop a thread coming loose under vibration, but will break easily enough when you use a screwdriver or spanner.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
TJ Mason - 14/9/2005 3:47 PM ?12.50??? Ouch! :( I've used Loctite on the threads of mine to make sure they don't come loose. Loctite will stop a thread coming loose under vibration, but will break easily enough when you use a screwdriver or spanner.
</p>

That sounds like a good idea :) I may dip my whole bow in Loctite ;) </p>