Dress Code at Nationals

philhoney

Hi,
I cut my post short to make for easy reading. I should have said that in the 2 1/2yrs I have been shooting I have seen no benefit from being a member of GNAS.
If I don't get anything out of it why should I pay to support it and be told what I can do or wear by someone who has no interest in me at all.
Before anyone brings up the argument of insurance, our club celebrates its 50th aniversity this year and apart from sending in the money every year and getting membership cards in return has never asked GNAS for anything.
I scan through the magazine when it arrives but have still to find anything that interests me. It's just a self promoting organ for GNAS.
It's time for a grass roots revolution where we tell them what we want not what they in their ivory towers think we deserve.
Phil

Nightimer

Hi,
I cut my post short to make for easy reading. I should have said that in the 2 1/2yrs I have been shooting I have seen no benefit from being a member of GNAS.
If I don't get anything out of it why should I pay to support it and be told what I can do or wear by someone who has no interest in me at all.
Before anyone brings up the argument of insurance, our club celebrates its 50th aniversity this year and apart from sending in the money every year and getting membership cards in return has never asked GNAS for anything.
I scan through the magazine when it arrives but have still to find anything that interests me. It's just a self promoting organ for GNAS.
It's time for a grass roots revolution where we tell them what we want not what they in their ivory towers think we deserve.
Phil
Thats a bit harsh Phil:)
Just to prove you wrong I will have a quiet sit down and have a think, with a view to compiling a list of GNAS membership benefits.
The only problem is that I haven't got a year to spare :)))))
I was a member for over 25 years and to be honest they still spout the same old stuff that they were spouting when I first joined.
Including the 30,000 membership !!

BigShot

And is basically what the British dress regs say. Apart from a couple of vague descriptions it is very much anything goes. How can anyone feel strongly enough about this now to start - or contribute to - a thread on this?
Anything goes?
I've got some very smart, dark blue jeans... would I have been allowed to wear them to yesterday's UKRS Portsmouth at Orrell?
An item of clothing that a truly vast proportion of the UK population pretty much live in without looking like hookers or homeless (Shirt's words) and yet no archer is allowed to shoot in them.
Black jeans (a far rarer beast) are fine - just not blue.

It's arbitrary nonsense... without which there'd be no threads like this.

The dress code is far less nonsensical than it once was, sure, but that people who have wardrobes consisting mainly of blue denim jeans or olive drab (everyone knows someone like that) have to buy and remember to pack a completely different set of clothes to please some silly rule that achieves nothing but the ability to tell someone else what they can and can't wear is quite silly.

Furface

Supporter
Going off topic slightly, watching the World Bowls yesterday, I was struck by how viewer/crowd friendly it is. Each participant has a green shirt or a red shirt, and uses green or red bowls. You can tell instantly each persons position. What about this for H2H? Red/Green top - red/green fletches. Yes i know it's different, but anything to make the sport visually clearer...

BigShot

Similarly, curling with red and blue stones.

I'm not sure many archers would be too happy needing two differently coloured fletchings.

Snooker doesn't seem to suffer much from both players having no obvious distinction between them beyond just knowing and the little > that appears next to the player who's at the table. Maybe that's a simpler solution - for the top level at least.
For non-TV shooting, perhaps a name/team-name above or below the target they are on (instead of just a number) would have the effect you mention.

But the dress code is still silly. :p

Gunner

Fonz Awardee
Going off topic slightly, watching the World Bowls yesterday, I was struck by how viewer/crowd friendly it is. Each participant has a green shirt or a red shirt, and uses green or red bowls. You can tell instantly each persons position. What about this for H2H? Red/Green top - red/green fletches. Yes i know it's different, but anything to make the sport visually clearer...

I have only just seen this, but my bow and arrows are all colour coded red and black, I wear a black T-shirt with red writing on it...

Flying Harris

I wonder if anyone could answer a question for me?
Are there any rules regarding a dress code for a field crew at an Open Tournament?
Can a judge request that a member of the host club (who has turned up to help with moving targets, searching for lost arrows and numerous other tasks) not go forward of the shooting line to perform any of these tasks because he is wearing a desert type camo jacket?
As far as I can see the dress regulations on GNAS site only apply to competing archers and officials.
Would be grateful for any comments on this.

G

GuardianAngel

Flying Harris said:
Are there any rules regarding a dress code for a field crew at an Open Tournament?
Can a judge request that a member of the host club (who has turned up to help with moving targets, searching for lost arrows and numerous other tasks) not go forward of the shooting line to perform any of these tasks because he is wearing a desert type camo jacket?
As far as I can see the dress regulations on GNAS site only apply to competing archers and officials.
At the All British Field Champs I saw archers wearing camo. Thought that was banned...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I imagine it's for the same reason as to why competing archers aren't allowed to wear it in front of the shooting line. You're not allowed to restart shooting till the field is clear and wearing clothing that's designed to make you harder to spot is never a good idea...

But not full camo... in the same why you will find people wearing blue jeans shooting field shoots... much more... relaxed (nb - sensible)

At the All British Field Champs I saw archers wearing camo. Thought that was banned...

C

Compound10

Certainly at the AGB National Series shoot the cadets doing the running slips wore flour bibs over their uniforms - I assume to make them visible.

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
You could say this covers it:
102. General
(d) The Judge, in consultation with the appointed tournament organiser is empowered to
require any individual who is considered to be jeopardising the safety of the tournament
to immediately leave the shooting ground.

Or perhaps the field party are officiating ?

307. Dress Regulations

(c) Members of the Society shooting and officiating at tournaments granted UK or World
Record Status by GNAS are required to wear clothing that is appropriate, clean, in good
condition (ie not frayed or worn, either deliberately or by use) and conventional in style
and appearance.

Flying Harris

Other club members wearing blue denim were not told to leave the field!
I can't see that this style of dress could jeapardise safety in any way!

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Flying Harris said:
Other club members wearing blue denim were not told to leave the field!
I can't see that this style of dress could jeapardise safety in any way!
Then there's no point soldiers wearing it because it makes them no safer...

Furface

Supporter
Then there's no point soldiers wearing it because it makes them no safer...
There is a big difference between soldiers in camo making use of natural cover and moving surreptitiously, and a field party on an open field humping targets around. If the judges cannot see why not have the person in charge of the field party giving the OK when she has counted them all back in. Field courses are a different matter.
IIRC from discussions in OpsCom long ago, camo is ruled out not because of safety but because it does not fit the image - it is quite naff, after all, and makes me think of Vladimir Putin wrestling bears.

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Furface said:
There is a big difference between soldiers in camo making use of natural cover and moving surreptitiously..., and a field party on an open field humping targets around. If the judges cannot see why not have the person in charge of the field party giving the OK when she has counted them all back in. Field courses are a different matter.
IIRC from discussions in OpsCom long ago, camo is ruled out not because of safety but because it does not fit the image - it is quite naff, after all, and makes me think of Vladimir Putin wrestling bears.
Moving surreptitiously using natural cover describes at least one field party I've worked with ;-)

The person in charge of the field *is* the judge or CoJ/DoS. If their job can be made slightly easier and therefore slightly increasing safety then it's the sort of rule that will endure in our times.

Personally, I want to get a pair of these bad boys to go with my new orange bow...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370541423454?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

edit: link fixed

G

GuardianAngel

LunkShooter said:
Moving surreptitiously using natural cover describes at least one field party I've worked with ;-)

The person in charge of the field *is* the judge or CoJ/DoS. If their job can be made slightly easier and therefore slightly increasing safety then it's the sort of rule that will endure in our times.

Personally, I want to get a pair of these bad boys to go with my new orange bow...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370541423454?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

edit: link fixed
Very nice. I would prefer this: https://d1ij7zv8zivhs3.cloudfront.net/assets/2429689/lightbox/PINK CAMO MINI BOX.jpg?1288621279

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

mk1

It's an X
Supporter

People helping at a shoot are not officiating. It doesn't matter what they wear but it is good if its obvious to officials and archers they are part of the organisation - that's where bibs come in as they can be worn over anything.

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
fanio said:
I've seen LunkShooter and I'm pretty sure they don't make those in his size...
And I've seen GA - I doubt they come in "ticking timebomb of fury" size either...

I think that the modifications to dress code are really ill-thought out. Some of the governing organisation obviously felt that the code needed modernising but couldn't go the whole hog and write a simple code such as clothes of a single colour with no text other than a small brand name (define the size if you like) or the sponsors' name (could be larger). The fact that ladies are allowed no sleeves shows that this is not a safety consideration but, for the committee at least, an aesthetic one. That blue denims and no sleeves were singled out implies that the organisation is still controlled by fuddy duddies. Similarly footwear can be defined to ensure safety (ie prevent piercing injuries for sharp objects embedded in the grass). I can see an argument against forest camouflage too. The bare midriffs rule is dubious too. But judging from some of our club members, I'm glad it's in place :)

Last edited: