Dress code change from 1st march?

Furface

Supporter
That's exactly how we got to where we are today - stupid jobsworth Judges who couldn't decide when green was green!
And this is why rules - any rules - should be well thought out, properly drafted, and thoroughly checked with various groups before being let loose on the public. We all want simply to get on and enjoy our archery. So rules should be invisible, not getting in the way, sensible and universally accepted - and not open to interpretation. The only time a rule should be open to interpretation is if an entirely new piece of equipment comes along, and a decision has to be made if it complies with the rules. And this is why both rule-makers and pedants are absolutely necessary. And why threads like this are not from people out to spoil your fun, but rather to ensure it can go ahead without pettifogging jobsworths getting in the way.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I know that this might seem like a silly question... but considering that jeans (if they're black, white, green, purple, orange, red) are allowed... why is blue specifically banned??

human106

Basically, whats the point in having dress regulations at all? It's just bizarre...the rules should be strict about etiquette, safety and conduct. What you are wearing doesn't affect your ability as an archer or your intelligence, moral code, personal hygiene, behaviour or conduct. Might as well ban gentlemen with long hair, women with short hair, folks with tattoos or piercings, the short, the fat and the ugly. Oh and perhaps blacks, jews and gays while you're at it...it's ridiculous in any measure and puts "regular" people off taking part.

Darkcider

I know that this might seem like a silly question... but considering that jeans (if they're black, white, green, purple, orange, red) are allowed... why is blue specifically banned??
Not silly at all - I wondered exactly the same thing!

Oh, and Human106 - you're spot on there - let's be all inclusive, as long as safety and conduct are adhered to (so safety would cover such things as enclosed footwear, drawstrings on hoods etc).

Cheers,

Mike

Furface

Supporter
Ah, you young thing! Remember that, back in the 50s and 60s (the era in which parts of GNAS have been fossilised) blue denim jeans were worn as a sign of rebellion, and we don't want that, do we! Think Marlon Brando (No, not as K-Tel or whoever, but in "On the Waterfront"). Think James Dean. That's right, scary people who have probably never had a cucumber sandwich in their lives.

C

Compound10

Its specifically there to stop Dave Cousins turning up and winning everything as he always shoots in blue jeans.

This may be a lie

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Ahhh, well, if it's been around that long I deem it to be "tradition" in which case I'm all for it!! ;)

Ah, you young thing! Remember that, back in the 50s and 60s (the era in which parts of GNAS have been fossilised) blue denim jeans were worn as a sign of rebellion,

ruthiexxxx

OMG! Dress codes?? Seriously???

I suspect it's never going to arise for us as we live a L O N G way from any club but I suspect that our habitual dress might not satisfy the criteria of a club's 'arbiter elegantarium'. We are biker Goths and our habitual dress would comprise lots of scuzzy black leather, ragged t-shirts with logos of heavy Metal bands), camo, spikes with everything and huge boots.

I wonder whether we would 'pass muster' LoL

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Um, you do know that you're commenting on a thread to do with the removal of most of the dress regulations...? from more than 3 years ago...

I think most people agreed that the old dress code was rubbish, that's why it (eventually) got removed.
It only took about 20 yeas or so of complaining, and fiddling with the rules.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
yeah... this sort of thing does make you wonder if threads should be closed automatically if there are no posts after two years... ;)

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
We'd only end up with a thread claiming that we were thread closing Nazis.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
true... which is why I gave it two years. Figuring the only people who really kick open two (plus) year old threads tend to be newish folk who don't check the thread dates. Older guys tend to be too busy bitching in new threads to look back!! ;)

Then again, some threads (like the 'Good Group' thread or the 'what we look like') tend to go quiet and then pick up again, so maybe not...

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
lol, or (assuming you're not too busty Boss), how about a message that pops up letting a poster know that there's been a significant time period since the last post and any issue involved has probably been sorted.... you know... if that's easy to do.

Yes, I am such a Luddite when it comes to programming... ;)

- - - Updated - - -

hope you're not too BUSY Boss.... damned Shirley the Typo Monster.... :ashamed:

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
On another forum I frequent, this is dubbed "threadomancy" (bringing back to life old threads). We generally have a rule that is a thread is over a certain age and someone rings it back it's then locked/closed what ever you want to call it.

As mentioned some threads you may ignore this rule e.g. what do we look like.