Easton Rx-7 tuning

Michael Burrows

AIUK Saviour
I was wondering if anyone has tuned a set of Easton RX-7's for barebow/string walking? I'm just bareshaft tuning them and I seem to need a very high nocking point and set them about 3 mm out from the string to get them to not fishtail or porpoise - they land with the fletched arrows but at odd angles otherwise. Be glad to hear of any tips or experiences with these arrows

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Are they the barrelled shaft ones? If so that might cause issues as the diameter changes as you draw.

Michael Burrows

AIUK Saviour
Yes they are and the Easton guide for them says to put them up to 3.2 mm (how would you measure something so precise!) basically a third of the arrow width out from the string. Certainly not having them in line with the string helped. They tend to land with the fletched arrows but more often than not nock down. Raising the nocking point to 20 mm cuts most of that out but it seems really high.

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
What are you shooting them from?

I had a bow that ‘demanded’ a high nocking point to get good arrow flight.
I recently changed riser on my Barebow (to a Mybo Elite which I really, really like)and with the same components the new riser has what I think is a very low nocking point to get a sweet tune. I also had to nip off another 1/4” from the arrows...
Did I mention I like the Elite?

Michael Burrows

AIUK Saviour
Gillo GT27 with GTL88 long limbs. Arrows are 32" 475's. I had to reduce draw weight to 36.5lbs from 39 with a 28.75" draw length as they were acting too weak. May need to cut them but a bit reluctant as only had them a couple of days.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
the Easton guide for them says to put them up to 3.2 mm (how would you measure something so precise!)
Well, it's pretty much exactly 1/8 of an inch, so I imagine that someone at Easton has thought "about 1/8 inch", written that down and someone else has converted that to metric with unwarranted precision rather than applying a bit of common sense and saying "about 3-4mm" 🙄

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Gillo GT27 with GTL88 long limbs. Arrows are 32" 475's. I had to reduce draw weight to 36.5lbs from 39 with a 28.75" draw length as they were acting too weak. May need to cut them but a bit reluctant as only had them a couple of days.
I only buy ‘cheap’ carbon arrows that I’m not afraid to chop down, loose, break or otherwise abuse... If I ever get to the stage of wearing them out before I’ve trashed them I might upgrade.
Im not holding my breath 🤣

Michael Burrows

AIUK Saviour
I had some Skylon Bruxx and they are great but pretty fragile. I'm down to 4 left out of 12. The front end starts to suffer after a while. So I bought 6 RX-7's from Quicks for not a lot more