Compound Bow Elite Enlist ?

Lammas

Lastly, I was thinking about replacing my PSE Phenom (SD) - which is a target bow - with an Elite Enlist.
Things that I expect to improve:
Balance. The Phenom is top-heavy like most target bows, requiring a stabilizer setup looking like space station antennas.
Less weight. Ultimately, the weight of the whole setup.
Higher letoff. Target shooters might like low letoff, not me. I do almost exclusivly 3D shooting.
Power. The Phenom SD maxes out at 50#. I had the limb bolts turned in fully after two weeks.

Does anyone have experience with an Enlist, or an informed opinion (e.g. testing it) ?

jerryRTD

I will say up front that I have not owned or shot the Enlist. I would have rejected without even looking it. The reason being Module specific draw length. The rotating module system is superior, easier to set up and easier to sell on because it will fit more archers. The other thing is that the Enlist is a 'do it all bow' so jack of all master of none. If you are after light weight then get a Carbon Icon.

Last edited:

Lammas

The rotating module system is superior, easier to set up and easier to sell on because it will fit more archers.
The sell argument is definitely true.
But with a fixed draw length, there is no setup required at all (provided I get the proper draw length). Granted, changing modules would be a mess I want to avoid.
I can see no superiority in a rotating module cam per se, except for the adjustability itself.
It adds some weight, making the bow a miniscure amount slower.
My draw length is settled, I do not need to experiment.

If you are after light weight then get a Carbon Icon.
Concerning the weight, the Enlist would still be in a manageable range.
As I realized, my long-range accuracy (>40yd) suffers when the bow is too light and/or too short.

As a non-technical side note, my nearest BT dealer is a rather unsympathetic person with aggressive advertisement habits - but there would be some way around that.
And I'm less than convinced by the way BT handled the bow failure issue a few years ago.

jerryRTD

I can see no superiority in a rotating module cam per se, except for the adjustability itself.
It adds some weight, making the bow a miniscure amount slower.
My draw length is settled, I do not need to experiment.

You may find as I have done before now that one manufactures idea of a 29 inch draw length is different to anothers. The problem is that the AMO draw length is measured from the throat of the bow. But the actual point where the load of the draw weight is not the throat but lower on the riser at the grip. Now if the bow has a low wrist grip that will cause the of load point to be further away thus making the drawlength seem longer. If the riser has a higher wrist grip then that will angle the point of contact back towards the archer making the drawlength seem shorter.
If you do have change the draw length module you will need to use a bow press to do it. and it takes about half an hour to do it.

Last edited:

Lammas

Right. In other words (if I got it right), how much the grip is angled backwards.
I am aware of that, and the issue with a module change.
When trying different bows, that didn't affect my shooting much.
I am much more sensible to the grip size, as I found out. With thicker grips (similar to recurves), I tend to twist the bow more, and it's hard to find the identical grip position each time.

Should perhaps have mentioned, my first choice would have been a Win&Win ShadowPro.
But as my preferred dealer told me, they currently have lead times counting in months (>3). Not even talking about a LH version.