Empty Serving Spools

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Does anyone know where I can buy empty serving thread spools in the UK. I've looked on the bay but none suitable.

Thanks

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I may have found a solution. 35mm film cassettes have a small spool inside. It may be a bit small but it may do what I want. I'll give one a try.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I was going to suggest cotton reels.
Thanks for the reply. I have looked at them but they are too shallow to take any decent amount of thread. I got a 35mm film spool but it's construction prevents a bolt going through it without too much faffing about. I guess I will have to wait until each serving spool is empty and then refill it.

ben tarrow

so what you really need is people who just happen to have an empty serving thread spool knocking around in their tool box, to send it to you :)

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
True. But it would not be worth their while for just the odd one. I would be willing to buy a 1/2 doz if they wanted to sell them.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
If you search for "empty cotton reels" on ebay there's loads with different sizes and capacities. Are none of them any good?

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have spent ages looking at plastic reels on the bay. They are not suitable for use with my serving tool. Every size but a suitable one.

PhilipE

Sounds like something I could help with.
Happy to have a go at designing and 3D-printing a test piece for you. Have you got any pictures/dimensions and I'll have a look

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Sounds like something I could help with.
Happy to have a go at designing and 3D-printing a test piece for you. Have you got any pictures/dimensions and I'll have a look
Thanks for the offer but is too much trouble for such an item. I have some experience of 3D printing.