End serving issue....

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Hi DT,
Bit late on this but the same thing is happening on my Hex 6H's. No breakage but definitely high wear! Did you manage to find the problem?

Cheers
I did run over the string grooves VERY lightly with some fine sand paper. The issue doesn't appear to have completely gone - there are still a couple of light marks on the end serving, but it certainly has made it better.

I believe Timid Toad may have had a similar issue and found it to be connected to tiller settings....

Mufti

How about when you pack up for the day after shooting . . . how do you store the string?
Is it a possible fold and unfold wear effect?

Just looked again at the photos - this is high wear problem, it must be noticeable for an onlooker.

427Boss

Hi,
In my case the bow was left strung. And I very much doubt DT would store the string such that the serving would be impacted.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I found this problem was down to tiller settings on my HexVs.
If the tiller is badly out there is no wear. If the tiller is very nearly right but not spot on there is a lot of wear, culminationg in failure. So I put a lot of work into getting tiller spot on and now no problems. I have a wear mark (slight colour change) on the serving but no damage after 10000 shots.

427Boss

Hi TT,
Thanks for the reply do you remember if you had to increase or decrease the tiller? and if you don't mind what are your settings top and bottom distances and BH against what length bow?

Cheers

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Err, increase or decrease is relevant to what it was in the first place?
Currently I shoot a CXT, medium HexVH 45lbs otf, 29.5" dl. For X10s I need 3.75mm Tiller. For 2314s I need a fraction less. What I am saying is if it has reached the point of wearing through the serving on the ends you should consider giving it a .25mm tweak either way and see what happens.