End Servings

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
How long do you make your end servings?

I've always made them long enough so that the string in contact with the limbs is completely served. But in these days of super recurves I'm finding that that's a lot of serving - to the extent that the jig posts are getting in the way.

Do they really need to be that long?

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
12.5cm on my hex's from bottom of loop to end. completely covers all contact with the limb but with zero excess. jig posts 24cm apart so never been an issue.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
12.5cm on my hex's from bottom of loop to end. completely covers all contact with the limb but with zero excess. jig posts 24cm apart so never been an issue.
It looks like my new limbs are going to need 230mm of serving. With a jig post spacing of 250mm it will be tight.

I have wondered about making one of the posts removable but its hard to see how while maintaining stiffness.

jonUK76

Once one end is served couldn't you just move the posts to a halfway position (so the post is out the way of the serving jig), and rotate the posts on the other end (in the same direction) to maintain tension? So the posts sort of look like a parallelogram shape from above? Just thinking out loud. I normally do my recurve end servings 5.5-6" from the end loop, and it's long enough for any limbs I own.

The jig I have does have removable posts - it's a Decut and they are on wide bases which is how they are maintain stability while being removable.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Yeah, not a bad idea but it's the 'once one end is served' bit that compromises that. you've done half the job by then. I've been putting the posts at 45 degrees when they get in the way and cranking the jig length out to compensate. It works ok but it seems a bit iffy - it's just one more thing to cope with when doing the fiddly end servings.

It's not like super recurves are hugely uncommon these days - maybe jig manufacturers haven't cottened on to it being an issue. Or maybe my jig's just too old.

jonUK76

Hi, I probably didn't describe what I meant by "one end is served" very well. I meant the first loop (before the loop is closed up) as this in effect holds the string together and stops the strands moving anywhere. At this point I think you should be able to turn the posts to a 45 degree angle, take the string off one of the posts (allowing you to close up the loops) and compensate by turning the posts at the other end. I quickly drew a pic to illustrate (excuse the lack of graphics skills)