Equipment insurance?

MSR

AIUK Saviour
Given that the cost of replacing decent equipment seems to be going up, has anyone decided to invest in insuring their equipment?

As it stands, I could not currently replace my setup, at least not with what the market considers its equivalent. I do wonder if "cheaper" equipment available today is not actually as good as the expensive stuff was ten years ago - technology rolls downhill and these days it seems like some stuff that's marketed for beginners would have been perfectly acceptable competition gear, once upon a time. Not sure if this would help get lower premiums, though...

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Mine is currently covered by my house insurance.
Provision varies, but many policies have categories for "sports equipment" or similar, and allowances for individually listed "named items" if they are expensive.
Depends a lot on individual providers, though.

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
in 2013 on the way to archery coaching I crashed my car (slid off a motorway and into an AA van helping another vehicle that had done the same. Joke was I'm with the RAC). My car was a right off. The insurance money I got for my Focus was less than my bow and kit (which was in the boot) was worth. Just my opinion but ... Insurance for kit is good! (mine is on my householders insurance)

ps: archery kit survived intact!

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
If you are a smallbore target rifle shooter, and therefore a member of the NSRA, then your membership fee also provides you with not only the usual third party insurance cover but also a decent level of insurance for your shooting equipment. I have been a life member since the 1970s (cost me a huge £35 to become a life member then!) so my kit equipment insurance is more generous.

That's a membership benefit that wasn't included in the recent AGB survey.