Errr! What?!

DarkMuppet

I had a quick blast down the club this morning, wind was pretty strong so just stuck up a target at 30m and ploughed on. On the last end I thought for a laugh I'd throw down my 7 indoor FatBoys to see how far they'd drift .....

I was amazed that they went that much higher than my Carbon Ones but was staggered that they grouped so well, far better than all my previous ends!

I seriously wondered if this could be my future at the short distances! :D

Challengemaster

Unexpected but it's not too hard to see why once you compare specs. 400 Fatboys are 0.7 gpi lighter than 410 Carbon Ones, and the recommended point weight is 80-100 in Fatboys, while it's 110-120 in Carbon Ones.

Those look reasonably long, so for arguments sake we'll say 29". That's 20.3gr difference in shaft weight alone. If you go to the extremes of point weight and have 80gr in the Fatboys and 120 in the Carbon Ones, you've another 40gr difference. Total 60.3gr difference (ignoring bushings, vanes, nocks, which will all be similar). More than likely it would be 100gr in the Fatboys and 110/120 in the Carbon Ones, so 30-40gr difference. It's easy to see why they went higher!

Clearly 30M isn't far enough for wind drift to catch the arrows. They'd still have plenty of speed from a 55-60# compound to keep them straight (as you can see). If you look at the World Archery coverage of Wroclaw field championships, there is one or two pros who shot non-outdoor arrows (widest possible) for the closest targets.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I was planning on using fatter arrows this season at 30m. Probably Maximas or a similar hunting shaft.

MikeD

I assume you didn't change your nocking point. Those fatboys are going to sit on the rest in a way that effectively means you've lowered your nocking point (or raised the rest really), so they'll go higher.

T101

often thought indoor size arrows would be better for 30m line cutters etc, plus would save my pro tours from damage and a bit of wear and tear 0)

hey, what bushing you got there? looks like a red cone shaped bushing, (with a g nock maybe?) not seen those

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I do remember a few years back at the last double fita of the season up at Lilleshall Chris White had set his bow up for an early international indoor shoot and so decided to shoot the 1440 round with Fatboys (as you do), it was a nice day and he put down a +1380 score. Alas for him Duncan Busby broke Chris' 1440 national record... rumour on the line the next day was that Chris was up very early the next morning retuning his bow to shoot normal outdoor arrows in an attempt to get it back. Alas, the weather was such that that I don't think anyone even managed a 1400 score.

DarkMuppet

often thought indoor size arrows would be better for 30m line cutters etc, plus would save my pro tours from damage and a bit of wear and tear 0)

hey, what bushing you got there? looks like a red cone shaped bushing, (with a g nock maybe?) not seen those
Yup, I didn't change the nocking point or adjust the shelf so with hindsight they should be going high as you all said. Nice maths there too challenge master. :)
I just never expected them to work as well as that in the wind.

The nocks are indeed G nocks on a long tapered bushing. When I got them last year I was given the choice of either those or the supernock bushing. I chose those because it drastically reduces the chance of a Robin Hood when shooting on a single spot face. I've had plenty of broken nocks but arrows remain untouched.
I think Easton brought them out last year?