Eye Dominance

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I am developing a problem with my right eye. Currently I am right eye dominant. Is it possible to shoot a right handed olympic recurve using my left eye if I put a patch over my right eye.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Yes it is.
...but you'll need an extended length sight-pin to do it.

I've just done the reverse, I'm X-Dom, R hand L eye & shot that way until December when I decided to try shooting 'conventionally' - my scores have (surprisingly) improved as a result even though my left eye is much 'better' than my right. Only thing I'd suggest is, rather than using a patch try a proper translucent eye-blind from a shooting shop.

All the twists & turns are on my 'diary' thread - with pix - but as it's 20 pages long now, there's a lot to trawl through. THIS post has the 1st pic of a sight pin extension though.

I've still got a couple of 'pin connectors' if you want to try it - Gratis.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The extension and translucent eye blind both work. The thing to remember is that when you set up your extension sight, it will be nearly two inches off from the arrow line. The string blur will still appear beside the sight strange as it may seems. I extended mine by the distance between my pupils. I looked through my binoculars to see how far apart the pupils are
When I first tried mine, at 5y for safety, the arrows landed 2" right of where I expected them.( I had not allowed for the arrow being two inches to the right of my left eye line) I wound in the sight to get things sorted and bring them nearer the mark I aimed at.
You can probably guess that at ordinary shooting distances, if the arrow travels 2" off to the right of your line of sight, it can still be in the gold. It takes a very small adjustment to get them in the centre.
I found that eventually closing the right eye wasn't necessary... but it did need a few shots before I used the "proper sight" when you see two at once. It's the one on the right of the pair!!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If you google Maja Marcen you will see images of her shooting right handed with her left eye, and an ordinary sight. She draws the bow string across to the left side of her jaw, so the string is under in front of her left eye and she shoots the bow like that.
In some photos it is difficult to spot that she isn't shooting as a normal right hander.
The method depnds on being able to adopt the posture.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thanks for the replies. I was wondering about the string picture. I will search for Maja Marcen. Thanks for the information everyone.

@LionOfNarnia. I have taps and dies so if need Be I will be able to make an extension similar to your picture.

I see that Maja Marcen is a compound shooter and will have the advantage of a peep sight!

Last edited:

Stretch

Yes you can. How far your arrows move off centre will depend on your dominance and your head position. You will no longer be looking up the line of the arrow so sight adjustment will be needed.

But there are some pretty long sight pins out there. Most of the scope type apertures have “replaceable” threaded rods (not necessarily easily replaceable).

Give it a go, see how far your arrows move and take it from there? Start up close then work your way back.

Stretch

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I genuinely believe it's possible to shoot with whichever eye is dominant, regardless of hand dominance. Personally, I am neither eye dominant, and that seems to SERIOUSLY throw just about everyone, including county coaches.
My string sits on the tip of my nose, not either side, and I find that if I let either eye gain dominance, which can happen if I start to think about it, I really can't hit a barn door. With both eyes together, I'm pretty good.
I thought Aslan's thoughts on the subject were genuinely interesting, and definitely well worth the read.

malbro

Instinctive Archer
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Instinctive archers shoot with both eyes open, and there are some brilliant archers amongst them.

Stretch

Most Olympic style recurve archers shoot with both eyes open also.

The issue is purely one of geometry. If you change the eye/string/pin alignment as much as switching from one eye to the other you need a longer sight pin. It’s a pain but shouldn’t have any significant performance drawbacks.

It should be consistent at longer range too. However, getting a consistent string picture can be more challenging for some. Obviously if you do change to your non-dominant eye you probably want to wear a patch/blinder etc.

However, I’d also add that for me, my eyesight in my dominant eye would need to be very bad to make me go this route. Only the OP can judge that one :)

Stretch

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I sourced a length of 8/32 threaded rod and replace the original with it. I extended the sight ring about 2 1/2". It works very well. I tested it in my garden range <> 20 m and adjusted it. Now I can shoot with my specs on and use my left eye to sight. When this lockdown is over I will see how it behaves at 70M. Thanks for the information about this modification.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Glad you have managed to get some good results.
When I first tried mine it was at 5yds. It took a while to get arrows to land where I wanted them. It took a good few turns in towards the riser as they landed well right first time. It wasn't till the next day I realised the arrows start to fly about 2 inches over to the right, and have to be facing slightly to the left to reach the centre. First time at 20yds I had to move the sight out to the left as they landed well left on the 5yds setting.
Anything beyond 20yds requires very little adjustment as the arrows are then flying almost parallel to the line of eye sight.

modernlongbow

Howard Hill, the most accurate flatbow shooter ever, was left eye dominant but shot right handed because it gave him perfect elevation. The man could hit aspirins.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Yes, indeed. He really knew what he was doing.
I guess any bow could be shot using the "wrong" eye, it's a matter of aiming off by an amount discovered over time by finding out what gaps work for what range.
By using an extended sight, it just means the gap can be zero, so long as the sight is previously adjusted for the range.

4d4m

I genuinely believe it's possible to shoot with whichever eye is dominant, regardless of hand dominance. Personally, I am neither eye dominant, and that seems to SERIOUSLY throw just about everyone, including county coaches.
My string sits on the tip of my nose, not either side, and I find that if I let either eye gain dominance, which can happen if I start to think about it, I really can't hit a barn door. With both eyes together, I'm pretty good.
I thought Aslan's thoughts on the subject were genuinely interesting, and definitely well worth the read.
Agreed. I'm not strongly eye dominant; a mild preference to the right. I consider myself left handed for some things (writing particularly) and right handed for other things (archery and shooting). Yes I'm weird. :) I can make the typical eye dominance tests give either answer at will, just by concentrating on the image I want.

I also strongly believe that unless the dominance is near total or there's a problem with the eyesight in one eye, then the archer's preference for holding the bow should be the prime consideration. It's easier to train the brain to see the correct image than it is to overcome handedness. Shooting a bow or rifle left handed would feel utterly alien for me.

On a related thread on a shooting forum last week I tried a dominance test. Sitting facing the wall at my computer in our through lounge, I looked to the left out of the front window. Dominance test gave a left eye result. I then tried it out of the back window, looking to the right and got the right eye. Must have been because my brain instinctively chose the eye with the best view.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
When I test beginners, I pretend we are gunfighters, facing each other ready to draw and shoot.
I quite often let them shoot me first; before I struggle and get my own back by shooting them as I fall into the mud.
The gun hand is their hand of choice and the dominant eye is the one they instinctively use, as there is no time to think.
Sometimes I have to "kill" the beginner several times before he/she reacts quickly enough to make a serious challenge.
It is a great ice breaker, too. There is often a chance to walk over and take the safety catch off their gun; if it doesn't go bang as it should.
With more than six beginners I have to re load, if I remember.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The only problem is some people are scared of the bangs!! even though they are just shouted.
The different reactions are quite amusing. Some take aim ever so seriously and painstakingly too.
They can look disappointed when I tell them they missed!
"Oh, and by the way... you're dead. I can work a small miracle if you are really keen to do a beginners' course!"
I only charge a fiver.