EZ compound cable guard

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
Less of a repair and more of a missing.
We fell heir to an ez compound which is missing its sight and cable guard. sight I can find cheap but finding a source of spare parts for this puppy is proving tricky.

Does any AIUK'er know where I might find a cable guard that will fit this bow?

not sure if the bow be shot safely without a cable guard ... I'm a recurver so what I know about compounds can be written on the back of an ep16 fletch! ;)

it would make a great training bow for my club or even a taster bow. if it cant be shot safely, will be disposing of it safely.

ta for any info

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The guard screws into the riser via a boss and the bar has a double bend in it. I can't make those. I can make something that will work, if the hole in the riser is 5/16" as for a normal long rod.

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
ta for the thought Geoff, much appreciated ... but while the hole into the riser is standard long rod diameter at the front (no bushing, drilled through the riser), it widens out when it exits at the back for the cable guard.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Ah ,Right, Yes, I remember that set up too. I used to have the whole lot, but not sure if I gave it all away. The part fitting into the riser was glued in, I guess.
I have found a bar with the double bend on it!! I can make a hub to take the bar and with the right size turned onto the other end, it will be a good fit into the riser for a glue type bond.
All I need to know is the diameter of that hole; and the distance the cables are away from the riser when the bow is fully drawn.

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
eh up lad ... just in from another day at the metaphorical coal face!
archery last night so got the bow checked out by both of our coaches and it was given a clean bill of health.

the hole through the riser is 52mm deep from front to back
the threaded portion is 29mm deep coming in from the front and then it widens out and is unthreaded
the hole is 10mm wide at the back of the riser
the cables are exactly 21cm from the back of the riser when the bow is drawn (how much extra needs added for safety? +1cm?)

ta loads

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Cheers for that.
I'll make the bar extend by an extra 2cm, so if you want to, a slider can be used to let the cables run in. In some early bows the cables simply ran along the edge of the bar. OK if the bar was stainless steel but any roughness on rusty steel would rub through the cables.
If you PM your address I will post it off before the weekend, hopefully.

AndyW

Looks like a Saunders Z rod will be the easiest match. They're threaded but you can get a threaded adaptor bush made to whatever diameter by the latheman on ebay. If the holes 5/16 he's already made some up for me so it will be a repeat.

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
ta for the info Andy.
However thanks to geoffretired who pulled a blinder ... we NOW have a fully functional guard on the bow. Admittedly it took a bit of time on the vice with a rasp to get the riser end to fit (my vague measurements) but it looks good and the club now has a freebee compound with which to let the noobs terrify themselves. these new fangled wheely bows are scarey! ;)

again ta for the thought