Fast Flight Plus material

Can anybody tell me where I can buy a reel of black and green Fast Flight Plus string material? In the UK. I've hunted the web but it seems to be in the same category as rocking horse sh*t.

Stretch

Do you mean a reel of “black and green“ or a reel of “black“ and a reel of “green”?

If the former, I don’t think they make it.

If the latter, the archery shop will order it but it will be a while.

Brownells had some problems a few years back and most UK dealers switched to mainly BCY.

What about BCY 652 or 8125? I tried FF+ a while back and it just felt like 8125 on my bows.

Stretch

jonUK76

I think many (most?) of the shops order from either JVD or SSA Archery wholesalers - it's worth checking those websites if you are wanting something that will need special ordering. Both list Brownell FF+ as a current line, but are out of stock in all colours. This suggests you could have a long wait if you can't find anyone with it actually in stock. As said, BCY Spectra 652 is probably a fair alternative in lots of colours, and widely available, as well as 8125 (which tends to be more expensive).

Another possibility is Flex Archery in Spain have started selling their own line of material, including a version of Fast Flight, but I'm not sure anyone in the UK sells it, although they will sell direct. I can't vouch for it, but I do have a compound strung with their "Carrera 99" material and it's been absolutely fine.

Do you mean a reel of “black and green“ or a reel of “black“ and a reel of “green”?

If the former, I don’t think they make it.

If the latter, the archery shop will order it but it will be a while.

Brownells had some problems a few years back and most UK dealers switched to mainly BCY.

What about BCY 652 or 8125? I tried FF+ a while back and it just felt like 8125 on my bows.

Stretch
Morning,
Sorry I should have been clearer. I meant a reel of each colour.

I shoot a Border Tempest with CV9 limbs and Border recommend Fast Flight Plus string material, so I'm looking to stick with their recommendations. If you like I'm erring on the side of caution :).
Thanks for getting back to me.

Stretch

BCY Spectra 652 is basically original fastflight so is going to be softer on your limbs and riser. I’m pretty sure Border would confirm that it or 8125 would be OK if you asked. There is not a massive variation in any pure Dyneema/Spectra string. Although SK99 Dyneema is a bit more rigid. Anything SK75 or less is soft - most top Olympic level archers use 8125 or 652 with a healthy scattering of Angel Majesty. While there are folks using almost everything else, they are the outliers. Many Koreans were still using original FF when you could get it. I believe (but might not be 100% up to date) most of them now using 652 or Angel.

BCY FAQ says 8125 is the equivalent product to FF+ and personally I couldn’t tell the difference (didn’t tune quite the same but felt and sounded the same). But 652 is half the price 🤓

Stretch

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I’m pretty sure Border would confirm that it or 8125 would be OK if you asked. There is not a massive variation in any pure Dyneema/Spectra
Screenshot from 2022-10-11 13-26-40.png

Border are clear in their recommendations for string materials and string dimensions. But Sid does have a huge downer on 'secret sauce' string materials where the manufacturer isn't forthcoming with their specifications.

Stretch

I sort of agree with the secret sauce strings but when it just says 100% HMPE or UHMWPE it is not very clear. Brownells are pretty bad for this but I assume the first is SK75 and the latter is SK99 but that is just a guess.

Just to be clear for the OP, Spectra (on Sid’s list) means BCY Spectra 652 these days. Don’t think anyone else makes a Spectra based string these days.

Stretch

View attachment 9419

Border are clear in their recommendations for string materials and string dimensions. But Sid does have a huge downer on 'secret sauce' string materials where the manufacturer isn't forthcoming with their specifications.
Evening Stretch,
I did ask Sid and his answer was use Fast Flight Plus, or basically at a push use Spectra, with no mention of any other material specs, though as you can see and I had checked, they do specother materials. Being newly back to shooting I'm not up on the new materials, so hence willing for advice :).
As FF+ seems to be hard to get, I think I'll get a couple of reels of the Spectra and see how that does. Mind you it is an expensive way todo things if it doesn't work. Ah well such is archery life lol.
Thanks for the advice.

Stretch

I feel your pain, I was 100% invested in Angel Majesty 777 of many colours. Fabulous on my Xi/Velos setup. Can’t get it to work on Xceed/Velos at all. The XL Grand Prix fit limb seems to like softer - so messing with 652/8125 myself.

At the risk of repeating myself, if you want as close to FF+ as you can get, go 8125 (according to BCY) - it is a similar HMPE yarn. If you just want soft, 652 is a good option. I think Spectra is closer to the old SK65 dyneema. (Like original Angel ASB Izanas)

Things are odd in this world when Angel Majesty from Japan is now cheaper than 8125 from the US by a good bit. Only a few years ago it was the other way around… so it is not HMPE material costs and the difference is too much for exchange rates. BCY just decided they can charge more I think.

Stretch

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Brownells certainly still have FastFlight Plus on their website:

Whether you can consider it to really be the same product after Brownells Archery wound down and all their trademarks and IP was bought by Badinotti Group of Companies I don't know.