Favourable conditions for our Elite.

spdixon

Due to the forthcoming World Archery events I think it may be prudent that we provide our elite
archers with favourable conditions to enable them to achieve greatness. Do you have any suggestions
of how we can do this and can you help.

Robing Hood

Who is "We"? The hardworking and hard pressed tax payers who sponsor the Elite through taxation (and other sources) to provide success for the nation in the sport of Olympic archery. I have the complete target list for this weekend. The trouble with your suggestion SPdixon, is that they will be naked when they shoot outside of Lilleshall, should your suggestion be taken up. I also note that one of these "Elite" archers who has now been a fully paid up professional for six years, only just reached the minimum score necessary to qualify for the Olympics, and I mean only just, at Clophill last weekend. Oh dear.

chuffalump

I thought it was Lottery money via UK Sport? Not exactly hard won taxes. More like charitable donation.

Or is that just part of the program, with the rest being tax funded?

AndyW

How easy do you want to make it? You already don't have to stand on muddy slopes and avoid trees. :stirthepo
On a serious note - let them stand where they want. They're the ones who put in the hours and if you get good enough you get to pick. I wouldn't begrudge someone representing my country first pick on what is after all just a line.

spdixon

AndyW Very commendable and a great idea to allow them to shoot wherever they like. Do you think it
would also help if we also allowed them to move targets if conditions change. Our elite archers deserve the
best and we must help them achieve greatness. After all they are representing all of us.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
How easy do you want to make it? You already don't have to stand on muddy slopes and avoid trees. :stirthepo
You obviously didn't watch the Pro Archery Series this weekend... one of the youngsters who was in the top group on the second day blew his position when he managed to shoot a tree... ;)

LMK

Perhaps a purpose built training academy with top international coaches?
We already have some of the best training centres and support services in the World - our lack of performance is not down to facilities.

spdixon

LMK If its not the facilities as they are the some of the best in the world. Then what can it be. It is our duty to find
out and help our elite and give them the chance they deserve. Could we not send them to warmer climates for winter
training as other sports do or major prizes, Olympic Gold - 3 Bed House. Silver - Car etc. Employ more support staff
and have 1-1 ratios. Other sensible ideas???? This is a genuine appeal.

AndyW

SPD. Good idea. Avoids fiddling with the sight thingy. You rock.
And in answer to the second part - yes they do and yes they are.

Last edited:

AndyW

You obviously didn't watch the Pro Archery Series this weekend... one of the youngsters who was in the top group on the second day blew his position when he managed to shoot a tree... ;)
Horrible admission but I don't know what that is and wouldn't know how to watch it. Luddite through and through. Pesky things trees - habit of jumping.
Drew up on a target a few weeks ago with a sapling obscuring the kill. Let go on the basis of I'm not that good and so unlikely to hit it - 10 minutes wittling later recovered arrow minus point.

spdixon

• Ukraine: $100,000 (gold) / $75,000 (silver) / $50,000 (bronze)
  • Canada: $20,000 (gold) / $15,000 (silver) / $10,000 (bronze)
  • Kyrgyzstan: $200,000 (gold)
  • Uzbekistan: $150,000 (gold)
  • Tajikistan: $63,000 (gold)
  • Italy: $182,000 (gold)
  • France: $65,200 (gold)
  • Russia: $135,000 (gold)
  • China: $31,400 (gold)
  • Germany: $19,500 (gold)
  • Ghana: $20,000 (gold)
  • Philippines: $237,000 (gold)
  • Australia: $20,000 (gold)
  • Thailand: $314,000 (gold
UK - only the medal. Our archers need a goal to aim for something to encourage them to win. After many years of sacrifice and putting careers on hold they deserve better than
just an Olympic gold medal.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Looking at the target list for this weekend's Selection Shoot for the World Champs at Lilleshall I see that the regular elite have been given most favourable positions... right in the middle of the field...

spdixon

Bimble. This post is about how we can help our elite achieve greatness. Haven't seen any valid suggestions yet. Why?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Bimble. This post is about how we can help our elite achieve greatness. Haven't seen any valid suggestions yet. Why?
My mistake... all these similar threads meant I posted in the wrong one...